DRAMATIC CLUB WILL PRESENT TWO PLAYS

"The Violins of Cremona" and "The Witches' Mountain" to Be Given Next Week--Additional Dates at Lowell and Lynn

"The Violins of Cremona" and "The Witches' Mountain", the two plays comprising the twenty-third semi-annual production of the Dramatic Club, will be presented next week. The first performance will be held Tuesday evening at Brattle Hall in Cambridge. Thursday afternoon the club will play at Ye Wilbur Theatre in Boston, and on Friday evening again at Brattle Hall. Two additional dates that have not been announced before are Monday, December 5, at Lowell, and Thursday, December 8, at Lynn; these performances will be given for the benefit of the Radcliffe College Endowment Fund. The last presentation of the two plays will take place Saturday evening, December 10, at the "Barn" in Wellesley. There will be dancing after the Cambridge and Wellesley performances.

"The Witches' Mountain" is a three-act "gaucho" drama laid on the wild slopes of the Andes. The action is for the most part fast and vigorous, and the play is colorful and strong in dramatic effect, depicting the self-reliant spirit of the gaucho. The plot concerns the scheming and planning of three ranchmen to obtain the love of Inda, the daughter of a fellow ranchman. The story gradually increases in intensity until it has worked up to a powerful climax.

First produced in Buenos Aires in 1912, the play marks the height of theatrical achievement in South America. The play was written by one of the more modern Argentine playwrights, Senor Julio Sanchez Gardel, and was edited by Mr. Edward Hale Bierstadt, a specialist in the Argentine theatre.

The staging of Francois Coppee's "The Violins of Cremona" is being greatly aided by the work of Edgar Scott '20, who translated the play from the French. Having seen the play produced at the Comedie-Francaise in Paris, he was able to take complete notes in regard to the scenery, costumes, and stage arrangement, as well as the position and acting of the players.

The play is a dramatic comedy of life in northern Italy in the eighteenth century, dealing with a contest among the violin makers of Cremona. Taddeo Ferrari, the old violin master, has announced that the winner will receive not only the coveted trophy, but also the hand of his daughter. The play portrays the heroism of the hunchback, Fillipo, who nobly renounces his victory in order to avoid forcing his love upon Giannina.

The setting of "The Witches' Mountain" is a typical cattle ranch with cabins scattered here and there amid the rocks in the lonely desolation of the Andes. In "The Violins of Cremona", the scenery, which shows the interior of a violin shop with its workbench and tools, its partly completed violins, and its stock of well-seasoned wood for new creations, gives the picture of a miniature factory in old Italy. Both settings, which were designed by D. M. Oenslager '23 and are being constructed under his direction, have been almost completed.

The casts for the plays are as follows:

Tickets for all of the performances will be on sale at Herrick's Ticket Agency, the Little Building, the Cooperative, and Leavitt and Peirce's. For the Wilbur Theatre performance, tickets will be on sale at the box office of Ye Wilbur Theatre. The price of tickets for the Boston performance are $2.20 and $1.65; for the Cambridge performance, $2.20 with a special price of $1.65 for the undergraduate members of the University and Radcliffe. The special price is obtainable only at the Cooperative.

"The Violins of Cremona"Taddeo,  C. A. Fritz 1G.Sandro,  J. M. Brown '23Don Taddeo,  J. J. Collier '23Giannina,  Miss Kathleen Middleton '23"The Witches' Mountain"Filippo,  K. O. Mott-Smith '22Leon,  Burke Boyce '22Daniel,  R. C. Burrell '23Juan de Dios,  B. K. Little '23Tobias,  Conrad Salinger '23Piluillin,  Philip Wardner '24Composanto,  F. S. Hill '22Inda,  Miss Mary Alice Secoy '22Zolla,  Miss Ethel Woodworth '2