A Fable--and Something Else

Communication

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

Although I have read the CRIMSON almost daily for six years, I have never felt so impelled to reply to a letter in it as to that of Mr. Hollowell in this morning's issue. His attitude reflects that of most graduate students who are not Harvard graduates.

He is surprised that "the graduate students are as loyal as they are", he thinks that it "ought to be sufficient restitution" if "the majority of them favor the other team in the early games of the season, but when it comes to meeting Princeton and Yale, are for Harvard". I should like to be shown some examples like the above mentioned who can so completely reverse their sentiments on the eye of the Princeton game. The statement is wholly unfounded, so far as I can make out from the experience of friends.

While complaining about the injustice which graduate students have to suffer with regard to tickets for the Yale game, he does not refer to the courtesy by which he may get a season-ticket that admits to every home game except that with Yale, and not only that, but admits to the Harvard cheering section. The Yale game means something more to Harvard men than the witnessing of a thrilling fight, and Harvard men ought to have first choice, and, if necessary, all the seats on the Harvard side in the Stadium; and yet they, too, are cut down in the allotment of tickets.

The most important point which Mr. Hollowell brings up is that graduate students are given to understand that they "do not quite belong". The only answer that can be returned to that statement is that the majority of them indicate quite plainly that they do not care to "belong". They come here and find a different system from that to which they have been accustomed; they rebel and find the results unsatisfactory. Many of them can not become reconciled to the lecture system and the taking of notes. Some feel that Harvard men are given the preference. Then there is the old cry: "Now, at Columbia,--or the University of Chicago,--or Siwash College",--or where not. And I have always found that the loudest "laudatores collogli acti" and those who protest against Harvard injustice are Scholarship-holders. A fitting subject for a fable. F. M. CAREY '20, 3G.   November 1, 1921.