ARMISTICE BELLS

The University is to be commended on complying with President Harding's request to observe November 11 as a holiday. The occasion has double significance this year; it commemorates our part in the recent war, and it inaugurates a new attempt to eliminate war--the Armament Conference at Washington. In celebrating the day with fitting ceremonies, it is to be hoped that the people's attention will be turned to the work of the conference, and that sentiment will be crystallized in favor of its projects.

But the mere passive observance of the day as a holiday will not accomplish that purpose. A suggestion made by the Governor of Massachusetts, that bells be toiled from 11.45 until noon, should not be overlooked at Harvard. This is one of the few chances given our bell to perform a welcome service. Its metallic clang will add materially to the general din of celebration; the sound of it at that unusual hour will turn the thoughts of all students to the significance of the occasion; and its ceasing will be a signal for all to join in the two minutes of meditation which the President urges. Let us hope that indifference will not muffle its peals on that occasion.