FOSSIL TREES GIVEN TO GEOLOGICAL MUSEUM

Fragments Found at Gilboa, New York, to Be Put on Exhibition--Anonymous Donor Establishes New Scholarship of $250

Fragments of two fossil trees discovered in the Devonian rocks at Gilboa, New York, by members of the Hugh Nawn Contracting Company of Roxbury, in the course of work on the New York City water-supply system, have been presented to the Geological Museum by Mr. Hugh Nawn '10, and will shortly be put on exhibition.

Gilboa is situated near Grand Gorge on the western slope of the Catskill Mountains. During the Devonian period of geological time, which immediately preceded the carboniferous period when the coal-measures were formed, the region where Gilboa now stands is thought to have been a swamp formed by the delta of a river flowing from what is now northeastern New England into a continental sea which covered most of New York, Pennsylvania, and the regions to the westward. The fossils, weighing several hundred pounds, are good examples of the tree-like Devonian vegetation found in this region.

Dr. John H. Kellogg, superintendent of the Battle Creek Sanitarium at Battle Creek, Michigan, has presented to the economic laboratories of the Bussey Institute, the University department of applied biology, a collection of food products.

Another gift to the University, from an anonymous donor, provides for the establishment of a new scholarship of $250, to be awarded annually to a needy Boston boy in his Freshman year at the University. It is to be named the Mitchell Freiman Scholarship in memory of Mitchell Freiman '01, and is to be assigned preferably to a boy from the West End, nominated by the governing head of the West End House. This scholarship will be available next year.