BAXTER AND THE WOMEN

Boston's election, which takes place today, will probably be decided by a margin of only a few thousand votes. The campaign has been bitter; each side has denounced the other with more than usual vigor; charges of incompetence and dishonesty have been numerous.

Were it not for two doubtful factors, it would be safe to predict a victory of a few thousand votes for Mr. Murphy, the Good Government Association Candidate for mayor. The women's vote and the campaign of Mr. Baxter, who is posing as a Republican make the outcome of the election uncertain. Otherwise the circumstances are about as they were in 1917, when Mayor Peters was chosen for the same office.

That woman suffrage was a guarantee of clean government, was the claim of all those who worked for the ninteenth amendment. Since the New York City elections, the good judgment of the fair voters has been frequently questioned. Apparently they are not such a great deal wiser in their selections than ordinary man. Tammany rarely has had such overwhelming support.

Mr. Baxter's misleading position makes it harder still for these new voters. Although in reality he is merely attempting to break the Good Government ranks by posing as a Republican candidate; he will probably succeed in deceiving a large number of those who usually cast their ballot along strictly partisan lines.

The "people" are unusually stupid. Newspapers warn them of impending danger day after day; yet like the mouse exploring the depths of the sinster, red wooden trap, they persist stubbornly in following prejudice rather than good sense. Today if Mr. Murphy wins as he deserves to, it will be in spite of those who are "die-hard" Republicans, men as well as women.