FOR ALL ARTISTS

The Fogg Museum is a veritable store-house of valuables-both for connoisseurs and for those who, like most of us, "don't know much about art, but know what we like." The directorate, by judicious use of the funds at their command, and with the assistance of generous friends, have built up a collection of masterpieces of painting that is widely representative and in value compares with any other collection of its size. The new Masaccio Crucifixion; last year's edition of the Gozzoli fresco; and this year's notable Fra Angelico, are but examples of the gems which the museum houses. And for those whose taste fails to appreciate madonnas and crucifixions, there are more robust pictures by later masters, Dutch, Spanish and English. The collection from native artists, though small, gives a clue to the type of work done in America past and present; the moderns are well represented in a fine Sargent, a recent gift of the artist.

One of the valuable features of the Fogg Museum is its policy of holding frequent special exhibits in various fields. No small museum can have a completely representative collection; and ours, in spite of its good building, is unable to keep on view continually all the objects which it possesses. These periodic display have a double value; they bring to Harvard special exhibits loaned by generous collectors; and they bring out, where all may see them under favorable conditions, the less important objects in the possession of the museum, which have to be sacrificed in the general arrangement. They provide also a chance for concentrated study of particular artists, school, or types, by bringing together careful groups of related works.

The collection on display this week for example, is of threefold interest. It demonstrates that members of the Fine Arts Department are not merely theorists and critics, but creators as well; it is a valuable study of the subject which it illustrates-English scenes as studied by English landscape artists of the best period-a subject equally interesting to the student and agreeable to the dilettante; and it has the intrinsic merit of Professor Pope's artistic ability.

It goes without saying that the Fogg Museum appeals to the artist. After all the fine thing about it is that one does not have to be a connoisseur to enjoy it; we are all artists in so far as we appreciate art.