LARGE NUMBER ENGAGED IN INDOOR ATHLETICS

Survey Shows Over 2000 Men Making Use of University Facilities--Hemenway Still Overcrowded -- Convert Bowling Alleys Into Handball Courts

The various indoor athletic facilities at the University are in more active use this winter than ever before. The Department of Physical Education has just made public the results of a survey of the attendance at the Hemenway Gymnasium, University Squash Courts, Swimming Pool, and Freshman Athletic Building, which show that the average number of men who use these facilities daily is now 1228, as against 856 a year ago.

The survey was made on three days, December 7, December 8, and December 9. An average of the figures for the three days gives 621 men using the gymnasium daily, 348 using the squash courts, 85 using the swimming pool, and 174 using the Freshman Athletic Building. The much smaller figures for last year were taken during a survey conducted at about the same time in the season. The largest gain over last year is in the number of men using the squash courts.

Despite the recent construction of the Freshman Athletic Building and the extension to all men in the University of the privileges of the squash courts and swimming pool, Hemenway Gymnasium is still crowded. The demand for boxing has overflowed the limited facilities at the Gymnasium, and as a result the Department of Physical Education has decided to abandon the out-of-date bowling alleys and is preparing to use the space for handball, so as to make it possible to use the handball room three times a week for boxing.

The total number of lockers taken in all the University athletic buildings is now 1834, and these figures do not include those Freshmen who live in the Freshman Halls, as these men dress in their rooms. At the least there are probably over two thousand men making more or less regular use of the indoor exercise facilities of the University.