PRINCETON TRIANGLE IS UNIQUE DRAMATIC CLUB

PLAY IN BOSTON ON FEB. 18

The Princeton University Triangle Club, which is presenting "They Never Come Back" at Jordan Hall on Friday, February 18th, for the benefit of the Harvard Endowment Fund, is in many ways unique among College Dramatic Clubs. The competition for every position in the production is open to all members of the University and is decided wholly on a basis of who will better the play most. Another interesting feature of this club is its prominence among the undergraduates. This year over 600 men or approximately one-third of the college competed for positions in the production.

The purpose which the club has in view is to produce plays which retain their spontaneity peculiar to strictly amateur productions, without sacrificing finish and smoothness and to do this without letting the rehearsals in any way interfere with the regular curriculum work.

Preparation for the play begins in the May preceding the year of production. The first step is to call the prospective playwrights together and outline to them the general requisites for a proper vehicle. These men start work on their plays immediately and are expected to submit a rough draft of them, with one scene complete with dialogue, by the first of June. Then a committee of three, including the president of the club, the president of the graduate advisory board, and Professor Stuart, who coaches the production, selects the one they deem best from among these manuscripts. The writer of this manuscript goes over his work with the committee, receives suggestions and is then expected to write the finished play during the summer months.

Begin Production in September

When college reopens in September this finished play is gone over in great detail and thoroughly discussed, and any revisions that the committee wants are made. As soon as these are finished the president of the club and the leader of the orchestra call together the prospective composers and lyricists, the manuscript is read to them, and the needs in songs and lyrics are outlined. By November first all the music and lyrics must be submitted to the committee.

At the same time designers and painters for the scenery are called out and the stage manager reads the manuscript to them and gives them suggestions about the designing and coloring of the scenery and posters.

The cast trials are held during the first part of November as soon as the lyrics and music can be looked over. All aspirants are expected to prepare an act, singly or with others, to include singing, or specially dancing or any other suitable stunts. Former members of the Triangle Club form the audience and they are expected to offer all the helpful criticism that they can. The performers are graded by a system of marks and a fairly large number retained for the second trials. At the second trials the candidates are cut down to the desired number. Printed manuscripts are distributed to the survivors, who are expected to prepare the first scene.

The chorus trials are conducted in practically the same manner as those for the cast except that the emphasis is placed on singing, dancing, and ability to make-up for the feminine chorus.

While the acting end of the production is carrying on these competitions the financial staff works on the plans for the Christmas trip. By the end of November the plans for the theatres, transportation, entertainments and all other details of this kind have been arranged for and the alumni association in each city included in the trip have appointed a committee to handle all arrangements at that end of the line.

Under the direction of the stage manager all the scenery is built and painted by the students, while the publicity manager runs a separate competition which includes the preparation and painting of posters, the writing of publicity notices, the securing and printing of pictures of the cast and chorus, the issuing of pamphlets, and the editing of the program. The business competition includes all sorts of business jobs including the securing of advertisements for the program.

The final stop in assembling and coordinating all the various parts is not taken until about ten days before the initial performance. Then the whole personnel is called together and a concentrated period of rehearsing ensues. During these ten days the rehearsals come every night and last from 7 P. M. till 2 A. M.

Play First Given in Princeton

The first performance is given in Princeton before an audience composed of the faculty and townspeople. This is the most critical and therefore in many ways the most helpful audience of the season and serves as an indication of the scenes that should be cut out and the changes that should be made.

The personnel of 85 includes cast, chorus, orchestra, manager, assistant manager, stage manager, assistant stage manager, constume manager, property manager, electrician and publicity manager. They travel in three pullmans with a baggage car for property.

Election to this club comes after one year of service in a speaking or singing part or on the executive staff, or after two years in the chorus or orchestra.