THIRTY-EIGHT YEARLING BASEBALL MEN REPORT

Many School-Boy Stars Among Those in Cub Squad. Capt. Emmons and Coaches Young and Miller Speak to Aspirants

Thirty-eight candidates for the Freshman baseball team attended the first meeting last evening and were addressed by Coaches W. B. Young '13 and R. B. Miller '18 and by R. W. Emmons 3rd Occ., captain of the University team. The latter impressed the men with the importance of starting off their College baseball careers with earnestness. Coach Young explained that no cut would be made in the squad until sufficient outdoor practice had shown what candidates were inferior. Even though a man is cut to the second squad, deserving improvement will bring him back to the first. Coach Miller, who will be in charge of the second squad, urged that men cut from the first report regularly for practice, for outside games will be scheduled for them. He asked also that any man with a desire to pitch or with any pitching ability to report with the battery candidates in the cage this afternoon at 4.30, saying that in fall practice a dearth of pitchers was apparent.

Nine of the men reporting last evening signified they were pitchers, including Grosvenor Bemis, second-string pitcher at Andover last year, Lewis Gordon, two years on the Gloucester High School team and star of the freshman basketball five, and Henry Wheeler Jr. of St. George's. Of the four catchers, L. C. Larrabee has had three years' experience at Middlesex.

Strong preparatory school players are included in the infield candidates; R. M. Clough for two years played shortstop at Andover, J. J. Lee and B. M. Rice for two years on the Milton Academy team, and L. B. Lockwood, T. W. Norris and A. S. Rogers were members of last year's strong Middlesex nine.