THE PREDICAMENT OF GREECE

At the end of the World War, the Allies, relying upon the integrity and ability of Premier Venizelos, granted to Greece territory which raised that country to a position unforeseen ten years ago. The fall of the Venizelos ministry and the return to power of King Constantine has aroused agitation for the revision of the Treaty of Sevres between the Allies and Turkey. This movement finds favor with three Mediterranean peoples: Italy has from the beginning been wary of the rise of her new neighbor on the inland sea, and has cast longing eyes at the recent acquisitions of Greece. France--the traditional friend of the Turk--misses the privileges granted to her financiers by the old Turkish government, and is jealous of British influence in the Near East, particularly at Constantinople. The recovery of Turkish territory lost in Thrace and Asia Minor is the aim of both the Sultan's government on the Bosphorus and the Nationalists of Angora, who are capable of initiating no little trouble in the regions under Allied mandate. The pressure toward readjustment is strong: the future career of the French premier may depend much upon his obtaining the desired end with a minimum of debate.

The Greek cause is championed by England, whose tradition it has been to control the eastern end of the Mediterranean through her influence on Greek foreign policy. In this way Great Britain has attained considerable political power at Constantinople, has economized in troops, and has furthered her scheme of rail connection from Europe to the Far East. But Lloyd George is now hampered by diplomatic side-issues,--notably the southward advance of the Bolshevik and the sympathy of Mohammedans in India for their Ottoman coreligionists. The Greeks themselves are united, Venizelists and Royalists alike, in demanding the preservation of the Treaty of Sevres. The dream of the reincarnation of ancient Hellas, extending in unbroken line around the Aegean Sea, has at times seemed close to fulfillment; the decision of the London conference threatens to shatter it.