DAMAGING RUMORS

Special investigations have become so numerous of late that they are a common feature of our political life. The existence of committees to probe the coal industry, housing conditions, ship-building and other operations, both public and private, is as necessary as it is deplorable, and apparently will remain so as long as public service administrators are responsible only to their pocketbooks.

The trouble with this round-about method of checking corruption and waste is that it offers a temptation to those of our newspapers who prefer to create excitement rather than to publish facts. No sooner is a committee formed to probe affairs of public interest than the newspapers prepare for an orgy of "startling disclosures", for blazing headlines containing the names of men in the highest ranks of public and private life. For an expectant reading-public there are graphic accounts of untold wealth secured by graft, of prosperous men off to prison, via the hastily called Grand Juries. All this publicity is exciting; but it may do more harm than good. By the time our numerous investigating committees have concluded their affairs--if ever they do--the country may expect much improved conditions. Publicity can help in achieving this, and so long as it places before the citizens the truth; it adds in no way whatever to the betterment which is the sole aim of investigations, if it proceeds in reckless fashion. A conspicuous example of the harm that can be done is the recent accusation against Mr. Schwab which, after every newspaper in the country had injured his name by its insinuations, proved to be entirely unfounded. No amount of exoneration can ever undo the injury caused by this greed for higher circulation by unfounded but exciting rumors. Newspapers can be of service only when their aim is accuracy rather than sensation.