1924 DEFEATS M. I. T. IN CLOSE HOCKEY GAME

TO PLAY ST. MARKS TOMORROW

With the condition of the Charles-bank Rinks absolutely precluding the possibility of practice there, Coach Lombard took the Freshmen down to the Arena yesterday afternoon and sent them against M. I. T. in scrimmage, to have them emerge a victor by a score of 4 to 2. After preliminary practice the yearlings lined up against the engineers with a few changes in the forward line, Nelson Cabot moving in from right wing to right center, and G. G. Walker taking the vacant place on the wing. Due to injuries to T. F. Sherman during the practice before the scrimmage, Malcolm Dole started off at goal, but Sherman is expected to be in condition to play by the time of the St. Marks game tomorrow.

Nelson Cabot started the scoring for 1924 when shortly after the scrimmage began he snapped the puck into the cage from a scramble; a moment later G. G. Walker made a clever shot for the second tally. Coming out of its trance M. I. T. carried the puck down the ice and scored on the yearlings, only to have J. J. Lee cage the puck with a long shot that slipped through the goal guard's feet for the third point. At this point Coach Lombard began to send in his second line with the result that the yearling's defense weakened and M. I. T. scored. Taking a nice pass from Corliss Lamont a moment later, Harry Gardiner, substituting for Lee at left wing, pushed the puck into the goal for the fourth and last score for the Freshmen. Before the scrimmage ended, the first string men went back in but were unable to score again.

Yearlings' Team Work Improved

With the Yale game only five days off, the scrimmage against M. I. T. shows that the yearlings have a powerful septet which seems to have gained the spirit of team-work which was so noticeably lacking during the early part of the season. Although three of the first-string men were out of the M. I. T. line-up when it faced the Freshmen, a victory over a university team which the week before had defeated them, shows the power and improvement of the Freshman players. The substitution of Hutchinson, a B. A. A. player, for Wilbur, who was injured late in the scrimmage, did not seem to help the engineers.

In the forward line no man seems sure of a berth against Yale, for with abundant material to fill all the positions. Coach Lombard is giving all his men a try-out. At present J. J. Lee and R. S. Phillips seem to have the edge on the left wing and left center positions, while Corliss Lamont, Nelson Cabot and G. G. Walker are fighting it out for the other two places. S. C. Graves by his dependable work all during the season teems to have won a place beside Captain W. E. Crosby on defense, while T. F. Sherman is the first choice for goal.

The Freshmen are scheduled to play the rather weak St. Mark's team tomorrow at Southboro, but with the record of the past week behind them, they ought to make short work of the schoolboys.

The teams lined up yesterday as follows: HARVARD 1924,  M. I. T. Lee, Gardiner, Dwight, l.w.  r.w., Wilbur, Rutchinson Phillips, Pope, l.e.  r.e., Delsney Cabot, Lamont, r.e.  l.c., D. MscNeil Walker, Reid, r.w.  l.w. Taylor Crosby, Hill, Nichols, c.p.  c.p., N. MacNeil Graves, Leckwood, p.  p., Du Vemet Dole, Brigham, g.  g., Masser