COACH E. A. WACHTER EXPLAINS BASKETBALL RULES

Declares That One Uniform Code of Rules Used Throughout the Country Would Do Much to Put Sport on Firmer Basis

By University BASKETBALL Coach. and E. A. Wachter

During the past two months I have given much time in helping clear up the muddled basketball situation that seems, to exist between player, coach, official and spectator. This work has been carried on through a series of talks, and demonstrations throughout many cities in this section of the country, some weeks as many as three a week were given without any remuneration to me, but only to try to get a uniform conception and interpretation of the amateur rules which govern all intercollegiate Y. M. C. A. and A. A. A. basketball games.

I have demonstrated the rules before thousands of people connected with the game, mostly coaches and players, and answered as many as a thousand questions. The outstanding questions asked were:

(1) "Is three men on the ball a foul?"

(2) "Can a ball tossed at center or between two men during the game be caught?"

These two rules in basketball that seem to cause more confusion to players and spectators than all the rest, and it seems to be the only rules that the spectators think they know, as the general cry that goes up all over the hall, when two men of one team are fighting with an opponent for possession of the ball is, "foul", "foul", "foul"--"two men in"--also when a player taps the ball, then catches it either at center or on a toss up the cry from the spectators is again heard. Neither is illegal according to the rules drafted by the joint rules committee and adopted by all colleges, high schools and amateur teams. The rule specifically states that when the referee puts the ball into play in the center or elsewhere, where a ball is tossed up between two players he shall blow his whistle when the ball reaches its highest, point, after which it must be tapped by either or both of the players. If the ball touches the floor without being tapped by one of the jumpers the referee shall put it into play again in the same place.

Ball May Be Caught

You will notice that nothing in the rule is said whether or not the ball can be caught by one of the jumpers but the correct interpretation is that it is possible and legal for either of two jumpers to catch the ball "after it has been tapped" and before it touches the floor or another player. Should a batted ball land in the basket, it counts as a goal scored.

In some professional leagues that rule is prohibited, for instance, in the interstate league, and also in the New York State league, which operates under the National Professional Basketball rules.

The rule to cover this case is found in section 2 of rule 8, and reads as follows:

"The ball at the toss-up must be batted so that it touches the cage floor or another player before it can again be played by either one of the jumpers. This rule applies to a toss-up from any position on the floor, but the ball batted in the basket counts as a goal scored."

Thus it can easily be seen why so many questions arise in the mind of spectators who never read the rules and attend an amateur game one night and a professional game another.

There is no three-man rule in the amateur rules. During a game of basketball when two men of one side and one opponent are tussling for possession of the ball the cry from all section of the ball generally is--"Foul", "two men in"--or, "three men on the ball"--which only indicates how little the spectators are versed in the rules and by their ignorance of them hinder the referee in his work, and this tends to give the impression to others that the official is utterly neglectful of his duty. As a matter of fact there is no three-men rule in amateur basketball, and in some professional rules, such as those which the interstate league is playing under, it is legal to have two, three, or five men playing the ball. Perhaps many people will be surprised to learn this, because many officials in describing the foul will raise two fingers, and the spectators take it to mean that there are two men on the ball.

The rule reads as follows: "To charge in and make bodily contact with an opponent who is one of two opposing players having one or both hands on the ball is an offense."

The foul is simple, as it is called for charging in, and making bodily contact by the third man going into the play. It is a personal foul in the amateur rules, four of which retire the player from the game. It is a mighty good rule too, as it serves to make the game much faster and cleaner.

Coaches Should Know Rules

It is of course a hard matter to have every spectator that attends basketball games to keep in close touch with the rules and abreast of the many changes that take place from year to year. But to my mind there isn't any excuse for a player, official or coach to be ignorant of them, and I know of many who do not know any part of the rules. I also know of a coach who is teaching basketball at one of our biggest colleges who said he never saw a rule book in three years. The Harvard basketball team is taught the rules first, the fundamentals second, and a system third. The reason why less fouls are called on the Harvard teams than on their opponents, is probably because they possess a more intelligent knowledge of the rules.

Four years ago at Syracuse University in a speech on basketball, I recommended that representatives of all independent teams and representatives of professional leagues, and colleges, universities and amateurs sit in conference to discuss rules, and draft one code of basketball rules to be sent broadcast throughout the country in order to eradicate the lack of uniformity and irregularities that exist in the game today. If this is done basketball will be put on a firmer basis, and as football, baseball, golf, tennis and other sports, become standardized.

Thus far the amateurs have followed this suggestion as the joint rules body proves, and it is a right step in the right direction. Now let the professionals get together and adopt one set of rules.