"CAMOUFLAGED COMMUNISM"

News comes from Washington that a coalition of farmer organizations and labor unions called the "People's Reconstruction League" is making plans to obtain the passage of legislation in Congress to accomplish the prompt restoration of the railroads to unified government operation; control of the meat packing industry by legislation; retention of the excess profits, estate and income tax on land holdings; short time rural credit system for farmers effected through a system of co-operative banks aided by the federal government; public ownership and development of all natural resources; and the defeat of compulsory military training.

According to the literature published by the league, which modestly dscribes itself as "a non-partisan union of farmers and labor organizations and other progressive forces", this "program of economic justice will save the people on the farms, in the factories, mines, offices, trades, and transportation $6,000,000,000 a year." All this sounds very promising, but inspection of the program clearly shows an attack on private enterprise. As it has been stated: "This league's legislative drive aims at nothing short of camouflaged communism." Here is an example of the sort of radical propaganda that is going on in the unions. This plan, which its exponents call "reconstructive", is an attempt to destroy the ideals and driving power upon which American industrial progress is built. It is an attempt to ensnare the public into a thoroughly Quixotic adventure.

The proposal to return the railroads to government operation denies a fair trial to the private managers, who have recently received them in a depleted condition from the government. "Public ownership and development of all natural recources" smacks too much of paternalism to appeal to the average American mind. Attempt to retain the present excess profits, estate, and income taxes, augurs an intensification of these awkward and meddlesome methods of taxation. In order to attract the farmer into this scheme, the program prescribes for him a more flexible and accessible credit system. The proposals for legislative control of the meat packing industry, and for the defeat of compulsory military training serve as bait to a large number of trusting people. At a time when private enterprise is in a weakened condition owing to unprecedented world-wide upheaval, such juggling with the nation's welfare is ill-judged to say the least. America wants reconstruction, but will not tolerate communism. Notin the n' 'of.