TENTATIVE PRINCETON BALL TEAM SELECTED

Abundant Material Available for All Positions on Tiger Nine--Seven Veterans Form Nucleus--Outdoor Practice Held for Past Three Weeks

After the first three weeks of outdoor baseball practice, Coach Clarke of Princeton has chosen a tentative nine for the opening of the season. To the seven men from last year's nine, a strong supply of second team and 1923 players have been added, making a well-balanced squad.

Fisher, captain of the team, will be behind the bat. Last year he established a reputation as a steady and dependable catcher as well as one of the heaviest hitters on the team. He will do most of the receiving this year, but Stinson, Freshman catcher last season, will be on hand to fill in if necessary.

Cook, a two years' veteran with a batting average considerably over .300, is sure of retaining the first base position, and Bergen '23 will be first substitute. Second base will give no trouble with McPhee and Cooper '23 available. The former, last year's second-sacker, is an excellent fielder and a steady batter of the .275 grade.

Keen Competition for Third

Gotschalk, a recruit from the second team, is in line for shortstop. At third three men make choice difficult, but Coach Clarke at present favors Gilroy to supersede the veteran Keyes. Gorman is in the running as well, however.

McNamara, Watson, McIlvaine, and Botting are the best of the outfield candidates, the former being a letter man and the others also experienced as members of the 1920 squad. McNamara is valuable in all-around play, and Botting is fast on the bases. The other two are steady though not colorful players.

Four men have shown up especially well as pitchers, with Margetts ready to take the lead. He is a first teamer of two years with a good record behind him. Harvey is another man for the pitching department; he played first base on the 1919 team, but has shifted. Thomas and Jeffries, yearlings last year, are reliable performers.