WEST POINT ON THE JOB

Little did George Washington realize, when he designated a certain spot on the Hudson as a suitable place to train officers for the American Army, what the future West Point was to be. For those who are unfamiliar with the work and accomplishments of the United States Military Academy the last annual report of its Superintendent, Brigadier-General MacArthur, is extremely enlightening.

Many think of West Point as a machine for the production of professional soldiers. This betrays ignorance of the facts. While training at the Academy fits men especially for the various phases of the military profession, it has as its basic ideal good citizenship. Besides his study of military affairs, the cadet is instructed in those subjects making for a well-rounded mind, which is the first essential for successful citizenship. The extent of the Point's success in achieving its military purpose, which the report specifies as: "--to give to all cadets a broad conception of all the branches of the service", is indicated by the high professional leadership of its graduates as Corps and Division commanders in France. It is generally acknowledged that this leadership was largely responsible for the rounding up of the German left flank. The unstinted and spontaneous praise of the French officers who visited West Point immediately after our entrance into the War suggests the high standing the Academy holds in foreign lands. This is especially so of its extensive system of physical training, which offers a unique combination of athletics, gymnastics, and setting-up exercises. That the authorities at the Point are meeting their responsibilities in a highly commendable manner is the testimony of all who are competent judges.