THE ANNUAL SCRAMBLE

With the announcement that the Divisional Examinations will be held in one month, the annual scramble among Seniors concentrating in the third group begins. The psychological effect of the announcement is being increased by an organized campaign of terrorism among the tutors. Mid-year grades are "unsatisfactory", no matter what they may be, the very suggestion of leaving Cambridge in vacation brings shudders of horror from tutors, staggering assignments are given with alacrity, and even approaching "house" are no excuse. The result has been the dedication of all spare time to the tutorial room, and a declaration of "fight weeks" for highly concentrated preparation.

There is something humorous in the suddenness with which this wave of industry has hit the College, but it has its more serious side. So long as no credit is given for tutorial preparation it will be difficult to persuade students that they are really expected to do tutorial reading before the immediate proximity of the examinations impresses on them the necessity of earnest work. As long as students hold their present attitude the tutorial system will not attain its fullest usefulness; for only the rare student will devote serious efforts on work for which he is receiving no college credit.