THE CRIMSON BOOKSHELF-REVIEWS

Creative Revolution: by E. and C. Paul Thomas Beltzer: New York, 1921

By R. D. E.

"Creative Revolution" makes no pretense of concealing the purpose with which it was written. The writers believe that in communism attained by revolution lies the only possibility of the salvation of the world, and they are altogether frank in asserting, maintaining, and discussing this doctrine. In fact, so completely do the authors believe in the efficacy of and necessity for communism that they practically assume these two points, and devote their efforts to a consideration of the methods by which a communist world can best be attained in the light of the events and disclosures of the past few years. That classes, private property and the rest must inevitably be transformed into world-wide rule of the workers they accept almost unquestioningly. The average reader, however, who has not yet come to such complete acceptance of the communist ideal, is somewhat be wildered, perhaps aggravated, by the broad assumptions which form the foundation of the wonder building to be erected through the uncompromising method of creative revolution.

The chief contention of the book is the falsity of the long accepted economic theory that men are rational beings who make their decisions according to reason and what they believe to be right. For this conception the authors would substitute an explanation by blind economic forces which have brought about the present social and industrial situation. Neither the capitalists nor the mass of workers can by persuasion be brought to see the follies of existing institutions and the necessity for change. Parliamentary action cannot accomplish the necessary end for a variety of reasons; revolution directed by intelligent, class-conscious members of the proletariat is the only possible solution of the intolerable problem which faces the entire world. Wage-slavery, class divisions, capitalist oppression, all these must go into the discard; the inertia of the working class holds it from action; freedom can come, then only through the determined action of clear-sighted leaders who will bring about the revolution at the most opportune moment, gather together and verify the forces of the proletariat, and organize the new world of the basis of communism.

The vital need of force in swinging the balance of power from the side of capital to the side of labor is clearly and plausibly argued. That organs, such as Parliament and the press, which have as their chief aim the continued existence of the state of society in which they had their origin, can be used as effective weapons by those who plan the overthrow of that state of society is a proposition of doubtful validity at best. The aim of communism is not to reconstruct, not to build on the old foundations, but to sweep away all that now exists that a new and better world may be created in which the strife of classes has no place. The means of revolution and of temporary dictatorship of the proletariat are more than justified by the glorious end which they will bring about.

The work is dedicated to Lenin, and the reader is made to feel that he is the man of action who has carried into practice the theory of Karl Marx. Instead of treating communism as a demon, vague and much to be abhorred, "Creative Revolution" accepts it as the ideal reality which must soon establish itself throughout the world of men.