BLUE LAWS IN ATHLETICS

The reputation of a college today depends first of all on its scholastic standard; to a lesser degree on its athletic prowess. A college is mistaken if it assumes that the glamor of gridiron victories will offset a mediocre scholastic standard. Intercollegiate athletics, however, are of such importance that, if it is an error to carry them to excess. It is also a fault to burden them unnecessarily with overfine restrictions. The rule, which makes ineligible for one year students transferring from some other institution, is just and fair, for it prevents men, who may not be able to pass the entrance requirements, from coming to Harvard merely to gain fame as athletes.

Our policy in this regard encourages every student to become adopt in some recognized sport, for the reason that the benefits derived are part of the advantages Harvard offers. Its eligibility rules are strict enough to keep sport on a high plane, not so strict as to interfere with its usefulness. There is at present a move on the part of certain graduates to prevent a transferred student from playing on a Harvard team any time during his entire stay here. Once admit the advantages of intercollegiate athletics, and it is difficult to see the wisdom of a rule which limits them to men who have always been at Harvard. The transferred student is becoming more and more an important factor in University life. Why discriminate against him by offering him all the benefits of the classroom, but none of Soldiers Field?