DESCRIBE WORK AT OXFORD

Former Rhodes Scholar Points Out Wide Field Offered--Advocates Final Honor School Course

By G. H. Gifford., (Special Article for the Crimson)

Mr. G. H. Gifford '13, an instructor in French in the University, attended Bailiol College of Oxford University from 1913 until 1916 as a Rhodes Scholar.

An Oxonian who is asked to write about Oxford for the benefit of possible candidates for the Rhodes Scholarships is bewildered by the multitude of things that might be said. First of all one might mention two first rate sources of information: (1) a little book by Scholz and Hornbeck called "Oxford and the Rhodes Scholarships", and (2) "The Oxford University Handbook." The latter is authoritative though unofficial--the official University Calendar, or "catalogue" as we should say, is fearfully and wonderfully made, and not to be recommended to the beginner. I see that the latest edition of the Handbook in the College Library is that of 1917, it is probably the surest available authority on Oxford matters.

Some things ought to be said about the opportunities for study at Oxford, for it is becoming increasingly true that Rhodes scholarships are awarded only to men of attainment in scholarship and with plans for future work. There is the possibility of working for a B. Litt. or the new degree of Doctor of Philosophy, which was created practically for American consumption. These are research degrees, corresponding to our Ph.D. with this important iffference, that Oxford lacks the mechanism of the American graduate school and the work of a candidate for such a degree is "on his own" to a far greater extent than here. The lectures and seminars are organized not in his interest but in that of the vast majority, candidates for the honor B.A. At Oxford he may get into touch with the man or men who will give him exactly the help he needs in defining his subject and pursuing his research, but the initiative rests with him. He will find no department pamphlet or department organization to map out his course of study.

Personally I have no hesitation in saying that for the majority of American students the most fruitful course to pursue at Oxford is reading for a Final Honor School. "Yes, but that means working for a B.A., the mere equivalent of what one has already", is an objection that is frequently raised. The answer is that it is not the letters that count but the class, first, second, third or fourth; and an Oxford first is recognized the world over as a mark of very high achievement. In such a course one gets the full advantage of the Oxford tutorial system, and a sense of collaboration and competition with one's fellows in the same job which is hard for us here to realize. It is choosing the best and the most distinctive training that Oxford can offer, and such thorough grounding in a particular field broadly conceived, as none of us can afford to scorn. With energy and ambition one can take "schools"--the final honor examinations--at the end of two years, and devote the remaining year to research.

The Oxford undergraduate apart from his "shop", leads a keen intellectual life such as few Harvard undergraduates can imagine. That is one of the most alluring prospects I can hold out. Of course it takes all types to make a university and Oxford has its "pass men", but they are a picturesque minority. Let me urge any one about to plunge into Oxford life to read up his recent English history and politics, which he will find constant subjects of conversation and debate.

Promotion of Friendship.

Perhaps the greatest service that the Rhodes scholarships can do this country is the promotion of international good understanding, and a sympathetic appreciation of England is a good acquisition for any of us. But let no one fear that Oxford will feed him with sentimental ideas about Anglo-Saxondom or inoculate him with any brand of imperialism. Much nonsense of that sort is being written in this country at present, with quotations of certain rash utterances of that amazing genius, Cecil Rhodes. Rhodes saw one thing clearly, that mutual understanding between this country, Great Britain and the dominions, having a common language and, to a peculiar degree, a common culture, was most desirable in the interests of civilization. Oxford is a forum where discussion is frank and open, where daring radicals and devoted defenders of lost causes live the life of brothers. No place is more pregnant with possibilities for the working out of the international understanding we long for.

The building at 61 Garden street, Cambridge, once the home of the dean of Radcliffe College, is to be taken over for use as a graduate dormitory on account of the crowded housing situation among graduate students at that institution.