FOR THE BENEIT OF RHODES MEN

The Rhodes Endowment, provided by the will of the late Coeil Rhodes, has sent nearly 351 students is Oxford University during the period from 1904 to 1914, and has supported them were for a term of three years each. What influence English education has had on these men in exemplified by the various professions which they have chosen. According to a survey recently prepared by alumni associations of American Rhodes scholars, 114 of the students have entered educational work, most of them as professors and teachers. There are 75 who have become lawyers and 38 who have gone into business. Of the remaining number, 22 are engaged in religious and social work and the rest have taken up various scientific and literary vocations. Thus men receiving the advantages of the Rhodes scholarship have experienced training and opportunities which have had broadening effect upon their subsequent careers.

Two changes have been made in the conditions of admission to Oxford which will be of considerable advantage to future scholars. Greek, a subject little favored by the modern student, has become optional. And most Rhodes scholars will hereafter receive senior standing", thus enabling them to take a bachelor's degree with honors in two years and without examinations except the finals. Students who have done a year's work beyond the A.B. degree in this country will ordinarily be able to qualify as advanced students and seek the newly established Ph.D., a degree which is expected to link Oxford work with that of our graduate schools.

Furthermore, all future Rhodes scholars are to be selected by committees composed of former Rhodes men. Two-thirds of the entire number will constitute a body sufficiently numerous to select their successors. Their fitness for the task is unique. They are acquainted with Oxford and America and are hence more qualified to select by committees composed of former Rhodes men. Two-thirds of the entire number will constitute a body sufficiently numerous to select their successors. Their fitness for the task is unique. They are acquainted with Oxford and America and are hence more-qualified to select a student whom they think will profit most from English instruction than could be determined from the statistics of that man's college career. They are, besides, in a position to offer the prospective candidates for the scholarships information which would have been of great value to themselves. Selection of future Rhodes scholars by this new method will be decided. Improvement and will aid in giving English institutions our most representative scholars.