FRESHMAN TENNIS SQUAD HAS SCHOOLBOY STARS

C. W. Farnham Jr. Was Winner of 1920 Interscholastics and W. E. Crosby Semi-Finalist--K. S. Pfaffman 144th in National Ranking

Since the candidates for the Freshman tennis team have had practically no official practice as yet this spring, an estimation of the leading players in the class can be based only on their preparatory school records. The two outstanding 1924 racquet men at present are undoubtedly K. S. Pfaffman and C. W. Farnham Jr. Pfaffman a fast, brilliant and untiring player who has a long reach on account of his height, was for three years, on the Phillips And-over team, and in the last National Ranking received 144th place; and although also an able performer at And-over on the baseball diamond, he will devote his spring athletic efforts at the University to the courts.

Evenly matched with Pfaffman is Farnham, who, as Captain of the Exeter team last year, made a name for himself as a schoolboy player. Farnham also won the Interscholastics at Cambridge last spring; and during the summer distinguished himself in several tournaments in the Middle West. He has a rather slow serve and stroke, but his unvarying steadiness offsets his lack of speed.

J. D. Dubois, captain of last season's Milton team, is another preparatory school leader, counted upon as a sure point winner for the Freshmen. Like Farnham, Dubois is a steady, sure player and at times has shown brilliant streaks in every department of the game.

Four other men loom up as very probable members of the 1924 team, W. E. Crosby, Newton High School captain last year; Parke Cummings, a former Mercersburg tennis man; W. H. Harkness, of three years' experience at Hill; and J. M. Hopkins, an Andover veteran. Of these Crosby, whose playing is of the speedy, hard type, appears the most promising. He is exceptionally fast on his feet and difficult to evade at the net; and he showed both of these qualities last spring in the Interscholastics when he reached the semi-finals only to be put out of the running by Farnham.