NO RELAY TEAMS TO GO TO PENN CARNIVAL

Only Entries of University Track Team Will Be in Special Events--Brown, Gourdin, Harwood, and Krogness to Be Crimson Representatives

Contrary to plans made carlier in the season and to the custom of former years the University will not send relay teams to compete in the Penn Relay Carnival to be held at Franklin Field, Philadelphia, Friday and Saturday, of this week. Early this month Crimson teams were entered in the short medley and one-mile relay races, but the Track Advisory Committee at its meeting last night decided to withdraw the two University quartets and to send only four men to take part in individual events. The Committee made its decision owing to the fact that the Crimson track team has just returned from one of the longest trips in its history and would, in the opinion of Coaches Bingham and Farrell, receive more harm than good from another trip to Philadelphia. Coach Bingham believes that the can whip his runners into much better shape by intensive practice at home than by a tedious train journey, which would result in the loss of several days' practice, to the Carnival.

The four men who will make the trip to take part in their especial events are R. W. Harwood OcC., in the polo vault; E. O. Gourdin '21, in the 100-yard dash and the broad jump' U.F. Brown '22, in the hammer throw; and C. G. Krogness '21, in the high jump and also possibly in the hurdles. Harwood will meet the most formidable opponent he has yet had this season when he faces Gardner of Yale, who has been reaching championship heights in the polo vault this spring; while Krogness will have a Herculean task to win out in the high-jump against Landon of Yale intercollegiate champion. Gourdin and Brown, in view of their excellent showing to date, should place in their events.