UNIVERSITY NINE SHUTS OUT SCRUBS BY 7-0 SCORE

Has Little Difficulty in Defeating Second Team in 6-Inning Practice Game-Changed Line-Up Adds to Strength of First Team

The same qualities of hard hitting and accurate, snappy fielding that the University baseball team showed against Oglethorpe on last Wednesday were evident on Soldires Field yesterday afternoon when the nine shut out the scrubs to the tune of 7-0 in a one-sided, six-inning game.

There were several changes in the first team line-up which would seem to make it a stronger, as well as different aggregation from that which left Cambridge on Saturday, April 16. E. C. Lincoln '22, who is a veteran of last year, but who has been unable to play, in any games so far this season on account of injuries, was yesterday at his old position at third base. His timely hitting, clever base running, and the wide area covered by his fielding proved that he was little handicapped by his lack of practice. L. A. Hallock '22, who was prevented by a sore finger from playing in the first three games, but took part in the contests of the southern trip, was also in today's line-up. He seems to be the only outfielder sure of his position, with the other areas in dispute between Thayer, who is temporarily out of the game with water on the knee, F. W. Crocker '22, H. C. Janin '22, and J. S. Clark Jr. '23. Crocker and Clark were the choices yesterday.

The regular University batteries were given a rest yesterday and E. L. Bigelow '21 took the mound. His performance was very creditable, including as it did five strike-outs, and only one hit for his opponents. J. D. Murphy '22 caught well, and featured at the bat with two doubles. A. J. Conlon '22 was the most consistent hitter, getting three clean drives out of four times at bat, while his bare-handed stop of a hard grounder, was, together with Owen's reach for a high throw, the shining point in the game.

The first team got five of its runs in the fifth, when the first four men up made the round of the bases in quick succession, and Emmons came home a few minutes later. The scrubs' sole hit was made by S. B. Chase '21 early in the game.

The teams batted as follows:

University.--Conlon, s.s.; Emmons, 2b.; Lincoln, 3b.; Hallock, c.f.,; Owen, 1b.; Crocker, r.f.; Clark, l.f.; Murphy, c.; Bigelow, p.

Second Team.--Chase, 2b.; Dickson, c.f.; Lucas, r.f.; Bancroft, 1b.; Keegan, c.; Kerr, l.f.; Vitkin, s.s.; Ross, 3b.; Blair, p.