1921 COLLEGE BASEBALL SEASON WELL UNDER WAY

Penn State and Holy Cross Only Undefeated Teams of Eastern Institutions--Princeton Has Strong Nine, But Yale Undeveloped

That Penn State and Holy Cross remain and undefeated teams of the college baseball season in itself amounts to little when the comparative youngness of the season is considered; but when the final bickering over the mythical championship starts, the head-start of these two teams will without doubt be of value. Penn State's string of ten straight victories is undeniably a real achievement, and in spite of the fact that a number of the nines defeated are not on the top rung of college baseball teams, such respectable teams as Navy and Georgetown are included on the list. However, Penn State's first real opposition will not come till May 11 when it meets the fast-moving Tigers.

Holy Cross, which plays the University June 11, also has an imposing record with seven victories and a tie game on its credit sheet. The tie came only after twelve innings with the formidable Goergetown nine, and among the wins and included the 14-1 defeat of Yale the worst drubbing the Elis have received all season.

Princeton Team Strong

The Princeton diamond aggregation, said to be the best turned out n years, will bear considerable watching, especially after winning its last five games with comparatively little trouble. Coach Clarke has nursed his pitching talent along so that he now boasts three twirlers of great promise: Margetts, Thomas, and Jeffries, of last season's championship Freshmen nine. With these used in rotation the Tigers have managed to win all their games except those with Fordham and Holy Cross, both lost by the margin of only one run.

The University is not the only team which, after beginning to dream of winning streaks, has descended from the realm of the unbeaten. The Army nine had polished off five opponents in a row due largely to the astonishing offensive strength centered about French, the hard-hitting cadet outfielder, when Lafayette laid the West Pointers low, outhitting them in their own style of play. Yale and Penn have also slumped. The New Haven team, which really has the makings of an exceptionally strong nine this year, has uncovered a weakness with the stick when opposed by first-class pitching. This was especially true of the defeats by Fordham and Holy Cross. Penn, which will meet the University June 4, has lost its last three games principally because of weakness in the pitcher's box.

Of the other college teams Dartmouth, Williams, and Fordham all scheduled to meet the Crimson nine later in the season, are unreliable. They are all capable of playing top-notch baseball, but cannot be depended upon for any particular occasion. The Navy and Lafayette are in the same class. A number of other teams such as Pittsburgh, Rutgers, and Syracuse cannot be judged correctly as yet inasmuch as their seasons are scarcely under way.