RUNNERS SHOW PROMISE OF STRENGTH FOR SPRING MEETS

Coach Bingham Has Strong Entries in All Events Except Hurdles and Two-Mile--Records Compare Favorably With Recent Yale Meet

Although the University track team lost both of its meets on the trip held during the spring recess, the trip was far from a failure, since it showed that the team is stronger and further advanced now than it has been at this time in the last few years. If the present rate of development keeps up it is safe to say that the team will stand at least an even chance of defeating Yale on May 14.

The results of the two meets, and of the time trials held just before the recess, showed several interesting things. The quarter and half-mile squads are stronger than they were thought to be, while the two-milers, and especially the hurdlers, have shown unexpected weakness. In the two meets with the Pennsylvania teams, only three points were scored in the hurdles. In both meets, however, the University runners faced stiff competition, and although they failed to score heavily, they were only a few inches behind the winners.

Hurdlers Should Improve

The 220-yard hurdle race at Penn Stale was only three-fifths of a second slower than the American record, and R. S. Whitney '22 did good work in finishing close to Barron, who ran second to Earl Thompson at the Olympics last summer. G. Krogness '21 and R. W. Eitts '23 have only been out a short while and are not yet in lop form, but they are coming along rapidly, and by the middle of May the University should have a trio of hurdlers well above the average.

The results of the two-mile race in the first meet, in which Penn State scored a clean sweep, were a disappointment to Coach Bingham, and in order to strengthen this event Captain O'Connell was shifted from the mile in the University of Pennsylvania meet. The change did not have the desired effect, since the mile was considerably weakened, and the longer distance impaired Captain O'Connell's ability to make a strong enough sprint at the finish. It is unlikely that this experiment will be tried again, and during the next few weeks the coaches will spend a good deal of time in an effort to bolster up the long distance.

Middle Distance Men Show Power

From the results of the indoor meets last winter, especially the B. A. A. games, it was supposed that the quarter and half-milers were weak, but the two meets last week showed that this was not so. In both meets University runners got second and third place in the 440; in one they ran behind Earl Eby, national champion, in the half-mile, and second place winner in the quarter at last year's Intercollegiates; and in the other they ran behind Deming of Penn State, who is one of the best middle distance runners in this part of the country. In Richard Chute '22, Bayard Wharton '22, J. E. Kennedy '23, and E. T. Doherty '21, the Crimson has a strong quartet of 440 runners, which can be relied upon to score against any of its opponents this spring. The addition of H. F. Colt '22 to the half-mile squad added much to its strength; Cult was the only University runner to place in this event in either meet, and he made good time in each.

Other Events Well Taken Care Of

In the other events the University team showed that it measured well up to expections. In only one event, the high jump, can the Crimson's strength be questioned, and with the return of Krogness the prospects in this event have become brighter. In the meet with U. of P. the University jumpers were handicapped by the muddy condition of the take-off, but their performance in the Penn State meet was much better.

Comparison of the results of the University's meets with the results of the Yale Interclass meet, which was held on Monday, show that on a basis of actual performance the teams are about evenly matched. The two would have split even on first places; the University winning the 100, shot put, broad jump, hammer throw and high hurdles: Yale winning the mile, the quarter, the half, the high jump and the low hurdles, while the 220 and the pole vault would have been tied. Second and third places would have been about evenly distributed. In actual competition, however, it is probable that O'Connell would be able to repeat his performance of a year ago, defeating Siemens in the mile, while Gourdin should be able to win the 220. It must be borne in mind, moreover, that in the Penn State meet, which was was the only one run by the University under weather conditions comparable to those which held Monday at Yale, each runner was allowed to enter only two events, so that the team's full strength was not shown.

Team Very Well Balanced

In former years it has been said that the University track team consisted of a few stars, without anyone to back up their efforts by picking up second and third places, and it was to remedy this condition that Coach Bingham was secured to direct the team. So far this year Coach Bingham's program seems to have been attended with success; for the first time in several years the Crimson appears to have a well-rounded track team, strong in all departments. With limited strength the team nearly defeated the Penn State team, which is said to be stronger than either Yale or Princeton; and it made a much better showing against the University of Pennsylvania, the Intercollegiate champions, than it did against Yale last year. If Coach Bingham can keep the spirit of his men up to its present high pitch, and if none of the men are lost by accident, the Crimson team should have a far more successful season than it has had for some years past.