TEMPORARY CREW SHIFT

Coach Haines Tests First Eight With Olmsted at Stroke, Terry at 7, Pond at 5, and La Farge at 4

Coach Haines' policy of testing out various combinations in the seating of the first University brought two temporary shifts yesterday. M. E. Olmsted '22, who has been rowing at 4 all season took the stroke oar, displacing L. B. La Farge '22, who went back to 4. Lawrence Terry 3E.S. and T. T. Pond '21, formerly at 5 and 7 respectively, also changed positions to strike a new balance in the boat.

Coach Haines has said definitely that these changes are in the nature of an experiment. The first boat is at present a well-balanced and powerful combination, but the coaches are attempting to reach a point in the distribution of the poundage of the crew where a perfect balance will be combined with the maximum of power; Olmsted is much heavier than La Farge, but the balance is not materially altered because of the fact that Terry, now at 7, a long, rangy man, is lighter than Pond. The shift yesterday and the one earlier in the week, by which A. H. Ladd '23 was raised to the first eight, mark no radical change of plans on the part of the coaches, and a few days are as likely as not to see the original seating again.

The crew now rows as follows: Bow, John Codman '22; 2, H. S. Morgan '23; 3, A. H. Ladd '23; 4, L. B. La Farge '22; 5, T. T. Pond '21; 6, Captain L. B. McCagg '22; 7, Lawrence Tarry 2E.S.; stroke, M. E. Olmsted '22; coxswain, E. L. Peirson '21.