UNIVERSITY TEAM FACES HOLY CROSS TODAY AT 4 P. M.

Shift in Batting Order May Add to Scoring Strength of Team--Pitchers Not Decided Upon Yet

When the University plays Holy Cross at 4 o'clock this afternoon at Soldiers Field it will encounter the most formidable opponent it has met all season, and possibly more formidable than any it is scheduled to encounter later on. To date the Purple has played fifteen games, gained thirteen victories, failed to break one tie, and suffered one defeat. The Crimson's record is not so brilliant, for among its nine contests it counts but seven victories, and went down to defeat badly at the hands of Dartmouth, the only first class nine it has met with since its southern trip.

It is true that a mere string of wins does not necessarily testify to a team's strength, but the nines that Holy Cross has defeated are by no means third rate ones, while some of them are among the strongest contenders for eastern of southern intercollegiate championship. Among these are Princeton, Yale and Vermont. Princeton lost only by the small margin of 4-3, but Yale was swamped 14-1, and on May 7 the Purple again piled up a large score when it crushed Tufts 12-1 at Worcester.

Holy Cross has three good pitchers on its list, and which will start will probably not be decided until shortly before the contest begins. Horan has been on the mound during the hardest games, hurling his team to a victory over the fast Tigher outfit, and allowing only six hits to the victorious Lehigh players, eleven of whom he retired with strike outs. Gill, who was on the same team as Conlon and Goode at Exeter, is another strong boxman, while Tunney, who pitched against Yale is a possible choice, Powerful stickmen are plentiful in the Purple line-up. Maguire, second baseman, who bats seventh, is the foremost hitter, with the consistent averages of 434 for the southern trip, and 457 for the northern games, Len Dugan, right fielder, batting 330, and Riopel, a substitute counting 321, are the next ranking hitters.

No definite shake-up in the University team has marked the few days following the Dartmouth game, and although it is undecided whether Goode or Russell will first go on to the mound, the other positions will be filled by the men who held them on Saturday. A slight change in the batting order may bring increased power. Lincoln, a fast base runner, is lead off man instead of Conlon, who has shifted to Lincoln's former place at number three. Owen is still clean-up hitter, but Blair, rather than Janin, immediately follows him, Janin batting eight. Although Buell started the practice game on Monday at the right field position, Crocker is slated to cover that area in the initial innings today