VARIED PLAYS TO BE GIVEN BY DRAMATIC CLUB

A Comedy, a Japanese Fairy Tale, and an Emotional Play to Be Produced at Each of Four Performances in Club's Twenty-Second Production

Each of the three short plays to be given by the Dramatic Club in the next two weeks offers a distinct example of different dramatic forms.

A pleasing fairy tale is the substance of the first play, a Japanese "Noh" product, "Hagoromo". Leonard Ware '21 will take the part of, "Hakuryo", a fisherman, who finds a feathery Tennin cloak, capable of giving its owner the power to fly through the wind and clouds. The graceful nymph, "Tennin", played by Miss Madeline Brine '22 of Radcliffe, who cannot return to her native haunts in Tryiyama without her cloak, retrieves it from the fisherman only after she promised to teach him the quaint dance of the Japanese Tennis.

A fantastic and amusing comedy, "Wurzel-Flummery", by A. A. Milne, editor of "Punch" and author of "Mr. Pun Passes By", will be the second of the trio. "Robert Crashaw", a dignified member of Parliament, played by F. DeN. Schroeder '24, is unexpectedly left a large sum of money, but under the condition that he should adopt the name "Wurzel-Flummery". To complicate matters his rival in Parliament, "Richard Meriton", played by R. T. Pell '24 is left an equal sum and under equal conditions. Miss Dorothy Somerset '21 of Radcliffe, as "Viola Crashaw", provides a happy solution to the problem.

The third play, "The Blind", by Maurice Maeterlinck, is remarkable for the dominating note of fear expressed by the twelve blind men and women who are lost in a wood. Then, as evening comes and the chill of night fills the wood, not only the players seem chilled by the cold but the audience itself is irresistibly affected, so great is the author's power of vividly reproducing human sensation.

The original English translation of "Hagoromo" has been revised by J. W. D. Seymour '17, the coach of the plays, in order to give to it the correct "Noh" spirit which had hitherto been lacking. Special coaching has been given also by Mr. Tonuta, assistant Curator of the Museum of Fine Arts.

Productions of the three one-act plays, the twenty-second production of the Dramatic Club, will be given at the Hasty Pudding Theatre on May 17 and 18, for which tickets may be obtained at Leavitt and Peirce's and the Cooperative Society at $2.20 apiece, with a special undergraduate rate of $1.65; at the Wilbur Theatre on May 20, with tickets on sale in addition at Hornick's and the Wilbur box office at $2.20, $1.65 and $1.10, and at Wellesley with tickets obtainable at Leavitt's and the Cooperative Society at $1.10 and 80 cents.