CREW COACHES GIVE EIGHTS EASY WORKOUT TO DEVELOP FORM

SECOND UNIVERSITY BOAT RACES FRESHMEN TODAY

RED TOP, June 9, 1921.--Today was comparatively a day of rest for the University crews, for after the hard four-mile row yesterday the coaches decided to work on faults in form that had cropped up, rather than send the men through another gruelling practice. Coach Haines, therefore, took the first eight out for about four miles this morning and emphasized proportion at all beats, having Appleton vary the stroke from high to low and from low to high.

In the afternoon the men were sent down two miles to the Navy Yard and then back and a mile upstream, with the stroke varying from around 20 to above 30. Although the main emphasis was laid on style and proportion, the coaches also drilled the oarsmen on speeding their work. This stress on form is made because it is felt that although the boat has power and endurance, better rhythm and balance will increase the speed materially.

Seconds Show Improvement

The second boat is scheduled to race the yearling eight tomorrow over the two-mile course on which the second and Freshman races with Yale will be held on June 24. The race will be in the morning and under the same conditions of tide as the races against the Elis and should therefore prove a good test of power for both crews. The Junior boat has improved immensely of late and the Freshmen have retained their old power and speed.

The seconds had a very lazy workout today but Coach Howe gave his men their second hard row since their arrival at Red Top. The yearlings were paced for a half mile this afternoon by a combination eight and finished a length and a quarter ahead with a record of two minutes and 35 seconds against the tide but with a favoring wind. The showing of the new combination crew is very satisfactory.

The riggers were at work on the first crew's shell this morning and have put the regular rigging on their boat. Coach Herrick was away in the morning but returned in time for the afternoon workouts.