SUCCESSFUL SEASON FOR DRAMATIC CLUB

Last Productions Described by Mr. Philip Hale as "Surprisingly Effective"--Mr. H. T. Parker Praises Scenery and Lighting Effects

In accordance with its established policy, the Dramatic Club began the season which has just closed on November 2, 1920 with a meeting open to all members of the University interested in the stage. An address by Mr. Charles Swain Thomas '79, the principal speaker of the evening, was followed by informal talks from the heads of the different branches of the Club outlining the work of the competitions through which the Club chooses its new active members.

The three principal competitions which the Dramatic Club conducts before each of its bi-yearly productions are classified under the business, the stage, and the acting departments. Each department is headed by some man who has gained his position through work in one or more productions. During the past season the work of the stage end, under which is included the entire lighting of the stage, has shown to particular advantage. In its issue for April 1921, the Theatre Magazine devoted a whole page to pictures of the Dramatic Club's fall production of the past season, Lady Gregory's "Dragon", speaking particularly of the settings and lighting, while Mr. H. T. Parker '90, the famous dramatic critic, in his review of the spring plays, says, "the settings, the lighting, the stage-management were nearly impeccable".

After the reading of "The Dragon" on November 3, which gave an opportunity for candidates in each department to gain first hand knowledge of the spirit and tone of the play, the trials for parts in the cast and the work of the other departments began in earnest. The scenery for the play was constructed under the direction of W. H. Kenyon Jr. '21 and painted by D. M. Oenslager '23, from the model of H. W. Little field '24, while the lighting was carried out by F. S. Church '21 and assistants. The orchestra of the Club, which furnished excellent music between the acts, and for dancing afterwards at evening performances, was organized by J. W. Laird '22 and conducted by P. K. McElroy 1G. The business manager of the production was W. A. Duerr '21.

Dinner to Miss Nance O'Neil

During the early part of the winter, the annual meeting was held and new officers and members elected. The Dramatic Club gave a dinner in honor of Miss Nance O'Neil, the distinguished actress, at the Union on March 6. This unusual event in the Club's activities was partly in recognition of Miss O'Neil's work in Benavente's plays, of which "The Governor's Wife" was given by the Club in the spring of 1920. Other guests well-known in the theatrical world were present and the dinner was well attended by members both of the Club and of the Idler Club of Radcliffe, which makes possible the present scale of the production.

Work on the second production of the past season was begun on April 11, after considerable difficulty had been experienced in the choice of the plays, and proceeded rapidly in the usual channels. The settings for all three plays, "Hagoromo", "The Blind", and "Wurzel-Flummery", were the work of D. M. Oenslager '23, while the difficult lighting was carried out under the direction of E. H. Smith '22. The orchestra was conducted by O. J. Teegan '22, and the production was managed by R. B. Emery '21. In its work on "Hagoromo" the Club had the invaluable aid of Mr. Tomita of the Japanese department of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.

Aided Greatly by Mr. Seymour

Under the able, sympathetic coaching of J. W. D. Seymour '17, the Dramatic Club has been able to develop a competent group of actors, many of whom will return next year. The work of choosing the players from the many that present themselves for trials is exceedingly difficult, but Mr. Seymour's keen insight into youthful actors, also, for that matter, managers and business men, and his large knowledge of the stage fit him splendidly for his work with the Club. In the past season the acting of W. V. M. Fawcett '21, J. M. Brown '23, W. B. Leach Jr. '21, and W. C. Jackson '22 of the University, and of Miss Mildred Ellis '21, Miss Dorothey Googins '22, Miss Katherine MacLarnie '21, Miss Ethel Woodworth '23, and Miss Florence Scully Unc, of Radcliffe, has received particularly favorable mention.

Both productions were well received by the critics, and all seem to agree that "The Blind" was one of the best pieces of work the Club has done. Mr. Philip Hale, the eminent critic, terms its performance "surprisingly effective--'surprisingly', for it would be easy for even trained actors to fall in suggesting the sadness and the quiet honor of the scene and dialogue". Mr. H. T. Parker '90 said, "The Dramatic Club and all concerned in the playing, may well plume themselves. For once they have wrought upon an audience". The fame of the Dramatic Club is no longer local and as each year brings fresh success it climbs higher in the ranks of the leading amateur dramatic organizations in the country