VARYING SUCCESS MARKS 1921 LACROSSE SEASON

Three Victories Won Out of Seven Games Played--On Account of Weak Offensive, Great Strain Placed on Defensive Players

With only three victories out of seven games played the University lacrosse season can not be said to have been a success, yet the team showed decided improvement as the season advanced, defeating the University of Pennsylvania twelve on April 29 by the score of 4-2, and sweeping over Cornell for a 7-3 victory on May 16. In their game with Yale, however, the University players were shut out 3-0.

Throughout the season the cause of the Crimson's difficulty was its inability to take the offensive with any power, and over-much strain was thus continually placed on the defensive men. Among these T. C. Pratt '22, captain-elect for 1921-1922, at goal and C. A. Tierney '22 at cover point bore the brunt of the opposing attack and continually saved what looked like sure goals by their quick and heady play. C. L. Nunneker '22 at out-home, and D. H. Treanor 2ES. at third attack were the most conspicuous on the University offense.

The first game of the season, which was played against the Boston Lacrosse Club just before the University men left for their southern trip during the Spring Recess, resulted in a 13-5 win for the Crimson. The opposing team, composed of old Harvard players, gave the University a hard fight during the first half, but weakened in the second period, when Treanor, scoring six goals almost unassisted, clinched the victory for the Crimson.

In the first game of the southern trip, the Navy outfit, with seven football men in the line-up, completely crushed the Crimson twelve by the hopeless count of 11-0, despite the brilliant work of Captain Clinton Leslie '21 and Pratt. The latter put up a good game at goal, but was unable to do anything effectual against the rain of shots that the Annapolis forwards sent at his cage.

The contest with the Mount Washington Club brought another defeat to the Crimson standard, the home team winning 14-3. The University was seriously handicapped in this game by the temporary loss of Pratt, who was struck over the head and had to be carried from the field.

The University of Pennsylvania was the first opponent to meet the Crimson men on their home ground after their return from the South, the struggle resulting in a 4-2 defeat for the visitors. The University twelve started with a rush, shooting a goal in the first few moments of play. Later in the first half the Penn players carried the attack into the Crimson part of the field. In the second period the visitors managed to get two shots home, and the University one. The tie necessitated two extra periods, in each of which the Crimson scored once.

With a strong scoring combination and a nearly impregnable defence, Hobart crushed the University 3-1 on May 3 on Soldiers Field. The play was in the visitors territory a large part of the time, but the Crimson attack seemed unable to break through the last line of Hobart's guards. Nunneker chalked up the single tally for his team.

The University twelve had been playing good lacrosse for the last two games, but on May 13 it reverted to early season form, and was completely swamped by Syracuse 10-0. The visitors presented a speed and accuracy of shooting that outclassed their opponents, and seemed to be able to score almost at will. This was largely due to the ineffectual work of the Crimson attack, which failed to keep the ball in the Syracuse territory, and thereby let loose the full force of the visitors' fast passing game on C. A. Tierney '22 and Pratt, who performed well during the first period but was unable to stop the many shots that assailed him in the second half.

With such a bad defeat to wipe out, the University came back strong in its game with Cornell on May 16, and presenting a powerful attack and a defense that successfully baflled its opponents, swept the Ithacans off their feet, only to let them down at the end of the last period to a 7-3 defeat.

In this contest with Cornell the Crimson players showed promise. However, a 3-0 shut-put was administered to them by the Yale twelve on May 21 New Haven. It was an uphill fight for the University throughout, while the Elis were easily the superior at both attack and defense.

The outlook for next year is promising with Captain Pratt. Nunneker, and Treaner, three excellent players returning, together with several other regulars. The 1924 team will also furnish some clever stickmen, notably Captain A. L. Hepworth, W. D. Cole, and R. H. Jacobson