MEDFORD CAPTURES HIGH SCHOOL TITLE

Wins First Leg on Cup Offered by H. A. A.--Commerce High Loses by Point and a Quarter--Fast Times Made in 440 and Half-Mile Events

When her two winners in the sprints were disqualified because of technical fouls, in the first annual outdoor track meet of the Massachusetts High School Athletic Association, held Saturday in the Stadium, the High School of Commerce did well to come within a point and a quarter of the winning score, 25 1-4 points, made by Medford High School. The latter school was awarded the first leg on the silver cup offered by the Harvard Athletic Association, which is to become the permanent property of the school first winning five times. Twenty schools out of the twenty-four competing scored points; Dorchester, with 14 1-4 points, and Lynn Classical, with 10 1-2, were third and fourth respectively.

Exceptional times were made in two of the races, the 440-yard dash, and the half-mile run. In the former, Kinnaly of Dorchester made a flying start, and was never headed. At the turn he had a lead of five yards, and although this was lessened temporarily by the spurt of Kelley of Medford, he was able to increase it to ten yards by the time he crossed the finish, in 51 1-5 seconds. In the half-mile, Clausen, of Newton, ran a heady race, allowing Brooks of Medford and Welch of Framingham to set the pace until the second lap, when he shot ahead and finished with a lead of over ten yards; he was clocked in 2 minutes, 1 1-5 seconds for the distance.