Virginia and the Enrollment Problem

As a last official act for the session of 1920-21, we would make a final plea to faculty, to students, to alumni of Virginia, to dedicate themselves to the task of keeping this place a great University. We believe that this can be done only by an honest effort to keep our enrollment under two thousand.

What use is to be made of the Centennial Endowment Fund? Is it to be used to build more dormitories--or is it to be used to equip to better advantage the University as it is? Those who have given freely to the Fund have done so because they believed in the wisdom and the vision of those directing it. Let them not fail in their duty.

An alumnus writes: "There are many alumni who would prefer not to have the present quota of students increased. There was many a good regiment damaged by too many recruits."

Virginia is a state university. She can best serve the state by training two thousand men well. On them she can put the stamp of honor and all that makes a man. An Honor System can not stand the strain of numbers. Our Honor System is the backbone of Virginia. Let us think well before we dare sacrifice quality for the sake of quantity. College Topics, University of Va.