CROSS-COUNTRY TEAM PROSPECTS EXCELLENT

Many Veterans to Be on 1921 Harrier Team Which Will Again Be Led by F. G. Bemis '22--Good Material From Yearling Aggregation

With all but two of last fall's cross-country team returning to college next year, the University harriers, led by F. G. Bemis '22 for the second year in succession, will enter upon their 1921 season with the strongest nucleus for, several years past. Besides Captain Bemis, C. E. Dexter '22, H. M. Mahon '22, H. L. Pratt '23, and J. G. Winchester '23 will be available next fall. C. E. Reycroft '21 and H. E. Small ocC. Are the two men on the 1920 team who will not be back. Training will start the first day of college.

Although none of these five runners returning have shown championship form in previous cross-country races, a great improvement in their speed and endurance is expected for next fall's schedule, which includes the Institute of Technology, Cornell, Yale, and the Intercollegiates. All of these men have been practicing daily this spring and in several cases noticeable improvement has been shown. Mahon is the cross-country veteran who has distinguished himself especially, winning second place in the two-mile run in the Yale contest. Last fall he finished eighth in the cross-country meet with the Elis.

Bemis Captain Two Seasons

Captain Bemis has been on the cross-country team for the last two seasons and is at present the most experienced harrier in the University. He finished fifth against Yale last fall, the next Crimson man being Pratt. Pratt also ran on the 1923 team in 1919, as did Winchester, who captained the yearlings that year. Although Dexter was the last University man to score in the Yale meet last fall, two weeks later at the Intercollegiates he outran all his team-mates and was the first Crimson harrier to cross the line.

In addition to the actual veterans who will return to College next fall, there will be several other harriers of promise. Members of the 1920 squad who will be back are W. C. Bennett '23, R. N. Bryan '23, W. F. Eaton '22 and S. L. Tait '23. These men have all been displaying fine form this spring and should give a good account of themselves the coming season. J. W. Burke Unc., a former Notre Dame distance runner who has been ineligible to compete this year, will probably gain a place on the team next fall. Burke is reputed to be one of the strongest distance men in the country.

In estimating the prospects of the 1921 cross-country team the members of this year's Freshman class who will be available must be seriously considered. Of last fall's 1924 team the most promising University material appears to be a four-man group composed of Captain E. E. Schefer, Philip Gossler, Campbell Newhall and D. E. Wallace. Schefer was the leading Freshman harrier last fall, but has not been running this spring.

The other three men mentioned have all been out for track during the season just concluded. Newhall has shown up especially well and should be able to keep up with the University runners next fall. He displayed his real ability in the Princeton meet when he won first in the mile and second in the 880-yard run. Gossler and Wallace have both been doing steady work, but have not starred.

Other 1924 men who may prove valuable are L. K. Campbell, A. L. Coburn and J. C. White