KENT CLUB WINNER IN AMES LAW COMPETITION

G. A. Brownell 3L. and F. E. Parker 3L. Counsel for the Defendant, Defeat Warren Club, Composed of E. H. McDermott 3L. and F. W. Williamson 3L

In the finals of the third year courts of the Ames Competition, held yesterday evening at 8 o'clock in the center lecture room of Landell Hall, the Counsel for the Defendant, consisting of G. A. Brownell 3L and F. E. Parker Jr. 3L., was awarded the verdict by the supreme court after a debate lasting over two hours.

This contest was the result of elimination arguments held during the first and second years, and in the semi-finals, which were held in Novemebr, four clubs remained to compete for the prize. The Kent Club and the Warren Club, by virtue of their victory at that time, automatically became eligible for the last debate, the finals of which were contested last night.

The Ames Competition is an inter-club competition for the second and third-year Law School Clubs. To win this annual contest is one of the highest honors atainable at the Law School, and the competition never fails to arouse much public interest in its progress. Members of the winning club who argued are each given a prize, and their names are placed on the panel on the north wall of the main reading room in Langdell Hall. This year there are two prizes, $200 going to the Kent Club as the winner, while a reward of $100 has been awarded the Warren Club by virtue of its position as runner-up.

William L. Davis, plaintiff, represented by the Warren Club, was the proprietor of an express business operating between Boston and various New England towns. The New England Publishing Company, defendant, represented by the Kent Club, was a corporation engaged in the publication of the "A B C Pathfinder and Dial Express List" which contained the names of about four hundred local expresses doing business in Boston and its vicinity. The plaintiff applied to the defendant to have his name included in the next issue of the Guide, and the defendant refused to take any action on the matter. The defendant was unjustified and liable to Guide was generally accepted by the public as a reference to the best express concerns. Argument was opened by the counsel for the defendant, and closed by the final speaker for the plaintiff, the judges retiring for their decision at 10.30 o'clock.

The following is the personnel of the clubs: KENT CLUB Counsel  WARREN CLUB Counsel G. A. Brownell  E. H. McDermott F. E. Parker Jr.  F. W. Williamson On the Brief  On the Brief Theodore Babbit  C. B. Austin G. C. Barclay  K. M. Bixler E. G. Crossman  H. L. Kirkpatrick John Wintersteen

Threen prominent New England justices constituted the Supreme Court at the trial: Hon. William Caleb Loring '72, Sometime Judstice of the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts presiding; Hon. George H. Bingham, Circuit Judge, United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit, Sometime Justice of the Supreme Judicial Court of New Hampshire; Hon. Charles F. Jenncy, Justice of the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts.