"MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING"

"R. G. Z. writes to us from New Haven that he is a candidate for the staff of the "Yale News"; and that it will assist him in the competition if we will write an article for the 'News".

"R. G. Z. says, 'Perhaps you may care to write an article on The College Graduate Generally Speaking'.

He generally is.

(The preceding sentence constitutes the article)."

The above series of paragraphs was discovered in "The Bowling Green", Christopher Morley's column in the "New York Evening Post". Those of his readers who are magnanimous enough to overlook the put--the definition of which is too well known to bear repetition--will see that the genial humorist has apparently hit upon a profound truth. Whether this was evolved from painful personal experience he does not say, but it is hard to believe otherwise when his distress is so evident. Indeed, were it not for the fact that Mr. Morley is himself a college graduate, and surely far-seeing enough to dodge such literary boomerangs, one would be tempted to take him seriously.

Even before Mr. Morley burst upon a startled world, however, the rumour had somehow got around that a college graduate could be expected to supply information on all subjects. And the hapless graduate has been trying to live up to expectations ever since. Perhaps he may have seemed a trifie too persistent in his efforts, but a consideration of the obstacles to be overcome (cf. Thomas Edison and others) should persuade us to be lenient in our judgements. The whole thing is so obviously unfair; there should be a set of rules established. Running graduates through the gauntlet is becoming a most alarmingly "catch-as-catch-can" sport, or, in another metaphor, a case of dog eat dog. An S. P. C. G., now, might also help out. After all, the graduate has been taught to talk, to fill examination books to bursting, and to pour his vast knowledge forth at the least hint. Of course, he has not necessarily been told that he must express any original ideas or constructive theories--and this, mirabile dictu! may be what Mr. Morley is hinting at; in which case we shall be forced to accuse him of sareasm.

But whatever great conclusion may be derived from the discussion, one thing is certain. There is cause for rejoicing that R. G. Z. did not ask Mr. Morley for an article on undergraduates!