LISTLESS PLAYING LOSES GAME FOR 1925 QUINTET

Team From Boston Y. M. C. A. Wins Contest by Narrow Margin--Final Score 26-24--Samborski and King High Lights on Freshman Team

Playing listlessly in the opening period, showing renewed spirit after the loaf, and staging a brilliant but ineffectual rally in the closing moments of play, the Freshman basketball team missed their second step on the season's schedule by losing to the quintet of the 1920 Club of the Boston Y. M. C. A., 26-24.

The opening period proved to be an even draw, but the final session found the visitors climbing steadily to a lead which, in spite of the yearlings' last-minute offence, they succeeded in maintaining to the end. Conspicuous in the visitors' forward line was the work of Simonds, by far the outstanding figure on the floor, who in addition to caging seven field goals, tallied six times from the foul line, accounting for 20 of his team's 26 point total. J. F. King was high scorer for the 1925 men, but the consistent work of A. W. Samborski at guard marked him as the Crimson's ablest player.

Repeating their performance against Tufts last week, Coach Tolbert's men seized an early lead, only to have it snatched from them by the powerful offence of Y. M. C. A. forwards. In the closing session play was fast and furious, neither side gaining any substantial advantage until with five minutes to go the visitors caged a rapid succession of baskets, bringing their count to 26. Now, for the only time during the contest, the yearlings showed flashes of their usual form and swept through the opposing defence for three baskets. The effort was ineffectual, however, and the whistle blew with the Y. M. C. A. five two points in the lead.

The summary:

Score, Harvard 1925 24, Boston Y. M. C. A. 26. Goals from floor, King 5, Samborski 2, Merriam 1, Simonds 7, F. Benson 1, Colgian 1, Rogers 1. Goals from fouls, Samborski 8, Simonds 6. Samson Merriam, J. E. Bunting, r.f.  l.g., Colgian J. L. Seully, Kent Middleton, l.f.  r.g., Rogers J. F. King, c.  c., Fox, F. Benson A. W. Samborski, Donald Bourne, r.g.  l.f., Cohen, Simonds G. M. Quivey, D. P. Loker, l.g.  r.f., James, R. Benson