STUDENT MASS MEETING ADOPTS RESOLVE URGING ECONOMIC CONFERENCE BE HELD

Meeting Held Under Auspices of National Student Committee for Limitation of Armaments

In a mass meeting featured by three speeches representing the French, Italian, and German points of view on present-day economic question, 600 students from 11 colleges of Greater Boston gathered in Faneuil Hall last night to debate the question of a future Economic Conference of the Powers and finally passed the following resolution: "That a Conference of the Powers, including Russia and Germany, which shall deal with the economic consequences of the peace, is the logical sequel of the Washington Arms Conference; and that such a Conference is fundamental to the civilization of Europe and to the prosperity of the United States". Two minor resolutions were subsequently adopted.

Chairman Robert Wormser '22 opened the meeting and introduced Mr. John Rothschild '19, Executive Chairman of the National Student Committee for the Limitation of Armaments, who explained the purpose and scope of the movement of which last night's meeting was the first definite expression.

The other main speakers,--M. Maurice Gasenave, Economic Advisor to the French Delegation at the Washington Arms Conference, Signor Guiseppe Gentile, Economic Advisor to the Italian Delegation, and Dr. John Mez, Washington correspondent for the Frankforter Zeitung--addressed the audience in the order named.

Mr. Rethschild dwelt on the growing interest shown by college men all over the country in the National Student Committee for the Limitation of Armaments. Over 200 colleges are now engaged in the work and by February the work of the committee will have taken the definite form of testimonials which will be sent to the White House. This document will be one of the most representative summaries of collegiate opinion all over the country that could possibly be obtained, as the students will not only vote on the questions but will choose their own subjects for discussion. Mass meetings will be held separately and in groups by all of the American colleges and discussions will be held similar to that at Faneuil Hall last night, the resolutions to be sent to the main office of the committee, where all the material will be condensed and divided into the main topics discussed. These will be collected in the form of testimonies and sent to President Harding. The individual resolutions passed upon last night will be sent on to Secretary Hughes at Washington.

Would Exclude Outlaw Nations

Declaring that the reparation question represented the embodiment of all of France's economic problems, that France insists that Germany pay for her violence and that no people that does not observe the accepted rules should be admitted into the fellowship of nations, Mr. Casenave advocated the exclusion of Germany and Russia from any future conference until such time as they should manifest their wishes to fulfill their obligations and to "play the game" fairly. Evidences of such willingness have not yet appeared.

In the case of Russia, while admitting that her return into the economic system of the world was indispensable to the equilibrium of its system, M. Casenave pointed out that the Bolshevists' own point of view was the greatest argument against them. For by refusing to acknowledge the rules of the international economic system, such as the sacredness of contracts, they become incompatible with nations accepting those regulations.

In closing M. Casenave stated that he expressed the feeling of all France in strongly supporting President Harding's plea that war be forever outlawed.

The second speaker, Signor Gentile, outlined the abnormal conditions now existing in Europe, emphasizing the dangerous position of Italy who made greater sacrifices in the war than any other country in comparison to her resources, and the fact that economic Europe needs a Germany capable of producing, selling, buying and paying.

The end of the present difficult situation, however, the speaker said, was guaranteed by the movement started by America for periodical congresses of nations. He added that he was proud to say that the task of sending the invitations to the Genoa Conference had been assigned to Italy, and declared that all nations, "victorious as well as defeated nations; conservative nations as well as those animated by revolutionary spirit". This, he said, did not mean that Italy favored the Bolshevists, but it was merely in accordance with the principle, to which she has always held, of each nation being allowed to work out its own destiny.

Europe's Three Greatest Needs

Powerfully and eloquently depicting the "bankruptcy and starvation" of Central Europe, and the ruin of Germany, which he characterized as "beyond recovery", Dr. Mez enumerated the world's three greatest needs today. The primary need is disarmament; the next: elimination of debts; the greatest: economic and political unity.

Dr. Mez drew an ideal picture of a world with law substituted for brute force, where sanity, reason, and counsel prevail, and where "all nations, big and small, unite into agreements regarding their common welfare on the basis of mutual understanding, conciliation, and cooperation". For the accomplishment of this, the speaker pointed out, the European countries must sink nationalism in internationalism, must demobilize not only their armies but also their jealousies and hatreds, "and tear down all trade restrictions, tariff walls, and passport regulations".

Discussion from the Floor

Following the speeches the Chairman, Robert Wormser '22, invited a general discussion from the floor, on the subject, "Resolved: That a Conference of Powers, including Russia and Germany, which shall deal with the economic consequences of the peace, is the logical sequel of the Washington Arms. Conference; and that such a Conference is fundamental to the Civilization of Europe and to the prosperity of the United States".

R. S. Faning '23 opened the discussion with a strong speech, stating that "the purpose of any such conference can be only for the realization of economic necessities". "We must remove", he said, "any situation which is likely to keep America out of the Genoa conference". Stating that the discussion of the enforcement of the debts owed the United States by the Allied Powers was a serious obstacle, he eloquently declared that these Powers had more than repaid the United States in blood, and therefore urged that the following resolution be added to the original: "Further resolved: That the discussion of cancellation of debts should in no way be an impediment to the United States being represented at the Genoa Conference". This resolution was adopted by the meeting.

Another phase of the question was brought up when J. L. Swayze Jr. '25 proposed that "that portion of the resolution stating that Germany and Russia be admitted to the conference shall be retained". One of the most logical, impressive, and simple speeches of the evening was offered as an answer by Miss Bliven. She stated that the whole matter rested upon a mutual trust, and so long as we hear antagonistic reports from the people and the press of Germany, the country should be excluded, for only with a mutual feeling of confidence could any conference be a success. Mr. Swayze's resolution was passed after some slight discussion.

The meeting closed with the passing of a resolution to the effect that "the United States should postpone the collection of the Austrian debt for a period of 20 years"