REPUBLICANS HEAR SENATOR WADSWORTH AT UNION MEETING

No Pledge to Supply Armed Force--Congressman Dallinger Also Speaks--350 Men. Present

The Republican Club held its first meeting at 8 o'clock last night in the Living Room of the Union with Mr. Louis A. Coolidge '83 presiding, and was addressed by Congressman Dallinger of Massachusetts and Senator Wadsworth of New York.

Congressman Dallinger opened his address by reviewing the work of the Harvard Club in past years and endeavored to show the strong Republican tendencies of the University. He reviewed the eminent career of Senator Lodge and urged that the College support him at the next election.

Peace Negotiations Easy

Senator Wadsworth began by speaking of the difficult state of affairs confronting the Republican party at the time of President Harding's inauguration. In alluding to the ease with which peace was declared with the Central powers he declared that many people had come to see that a League of Nations was unnecessary for the performance of such negotiations. The Senator explained that the Washington Disarmament Conference was a great service to the world, because the peoples of all countries were being crushed under a stupendous burden of taxation. "In the Four Power Treaty, President Harding secured no pledge to supply armed force, but only an agreement that, in event of any difficulty arising in that sensitive region, the Pacific, the Powers directly concerned would come together to talk the matter over frankly and fully. This was the longest step in generations towards the prevention of war. In guiding this treaty through a bitter fight in the Senate, Senator Lodge served his country well".

Turkish Affairs an Object Lesson

"If ever we needed an object lesson", he added, "surely we now have it in the Turkish outbreak in Asia Minor. I rejoice that we do not have to take part in this disturbance at Constantinople.

The taxation problem was discussed by Senator Wadsworth, especially in regard to the reduction of taxes by the Republicans. One way we cut down expenses was to dismiss thousands of Federal employees that were stumbling over each other in Washington.

"There is one thing that measures the success of the governing party, and that is its credit," Senator Wadsworth concluded. "Our credit is restored, for Liberty bonds are now selling above par. Our work, however, is only about two-thirds done. You cannot change night into day by a mere waving of the legislative wand. It is therefore that I hope the Republicans will be reelected this November, that they may continue their endeavors for another two years.