BRADLEY DEFEATED BY KUNKEL IN TOURNAMENT

First Report of Fall Tennis Puts Winner in Finals--Overcomes Lead of Four Games in Opening Set and Wins 6-4, 6-2, 2-6, 6-2

R. J. Kunkel 1L. defeated R. N. Bradley 1G.B. yesterday afternoon, furnishing the first upset of the University tennis tournament, and getting himself into the finals. At the start of the match it looked like a walk away for Bradley, for he captured the first four games. Kunkel, however, made a vigorous comeback and took the next six games. In the second set Kunkel accelerated his play even more and won 6-2. Bradley then returned to the attack with a more puzzling serve and a better control of his ground shots. Although Kunkel did his best and fought for every point, he could not prevent Bradley's smashing through and taking the third set 6-2. But the latter could not maintain this terrific force, and so Kunkel, making the most of his opportunity, won the last set 6-2.

The match furnished much brilliant tennis, especially since the two men used far different styles of play. Bradley's best game was one of low, powerful forehand drives, but he was unable to use this stroke to its greatest advantage because his opponent, like himself, continually played to the backhand. Kunkel, on the other hand, used a variety of chop strokes, even for returning the service. Although Bradley found no difficulty in handling these shots, there is no doubt that Kunkel's strength held out longer because he did not use such a tiring kind of play as Bradley. From yesterday's exhibition it is certain that Kunkel will give Herndon a stiff fight in the finals.

E. T. Herndon 2G.B. and W. W. Ingraham 2S. defeated W. L. Garrison 3d '24 and W. A. Gordon 3d '24 by the Score 6-1, 6-0.