HARVARD-DARTMOUTH CLASH WILL BE FIRST SINCE 1912

Tomorrow's Game Marks Thirty-First Contest Between Rivals--Hanover Eleven Has Heavy Line but Will Feel Loss of Captain Burke

When Coach Cannell's heavy Green eleven runs into the Stadium tomorrow afternoon, the University will face Dartmouth on the gridiron for the thirty-first time. Of the past games, the University has won 25, the Hanover teams two, while three times the elevens have fought to a tie. The last game, played ten years ago, resulted in a 3 to 0 victory for the Crimson.

The first football game between the two colleges was held in 1882, and for ten years the University won consecutive victories. Then in 1893 Dartmouth held the Crimson to a tie. Ten years later the Green team came to Cambridge to dedicate the Stadium and gained their first victory, winning 11 to 0, while the last time the visitors conquered the Crimson was in 1907 when the Green team swamped the University 22 to 0.

Dartmouth Season Checkered

The Dartmouth season to date has been somewhat checkered although the team has piled up 63 points against its opponents six. The weak Norwich Cadet eleven opened the season at Hanover, and although the Green team won an easy 19 to 0 victory, the showing was not impressive. On the following week Maine succumbed 19 to 0 and the Dartmouth eleven showed a great improvement with real offensive power. Middlebury, which was defeated by the University 20 to 0, fell before the heavy Green attack, the score being 21 to 0.

Last week the Vermont eleven, although badly outrushed, gained a 6 to 3 victory over Dartmouth, inflicting the latter's first reverse. Nevertheless the Hanover eleven showed good team-work and flashes of brilliancy both on the attack and defence which may cause the University some worry tomorrow.

"Fight Week" at Hanover

Since Saturday's defeat, the practices at Hanover have been intensified and the players given an incentive by "Fight Week" which will end with the contest in the Stadium tomorrow. Coach Cannell has rebuilt the Green team in an effort to eradicate the weaknesses which cropped out Saturday and fill the vacancy left by the injury of Captain Burke, who will not be in the opening line-up but will probably be used near the end of the game.

Mills will pilot the Green team tomorrow with Smith and Stevens held in reserve. No outstanding quarterback has developed in the Hanover squad this season, and that weakness, coupled with the lack of experienced end material, has been the greatest handicap of the eleven this year. Coach Cannell will use Lynch and Bjorckman, weighing 175 and 163 respectively, on the wings tomorrow, in the hope of bolstering up the former weakness in those positions.

Green Line Impressive

The Dartmouth line, which has been perhaps the most talked about feature of the Hanover team, will be ably taken care of by Neidlinger and Hatch tackles, Taylor and Aschenback guards, and acting captain Moore at center. From tackle to tackle the Green men will average slightly over 195 pounds.

In the backfield with quarterback Mills will be Harris Siegfried, and Leavitt. The former two are experienced broken field runners while the latter, weighing 175 pounds, has gained considerable ground on line plunges for the Green team this season.

The past record of the two teams follows:

1882.--Harvard 53, Dartmouth 0.

1883.--No game.

1884.--Harvard 29, Dartmouth 0.

1885.--No game.

1886.--Harvard 70, Dartmouth 0.

1887.--No game.

1888.--Harvard 74, Dartmouth 0.

1889.--Harvard 38, Dartmouth 0.

1890.--Harvard 43, Dartmouth 0. (first game).

Harvard 64, Dartmouth 0, (2nd game).

1891.--Harvard 16, Dartmouth 0.

1892.--Harvard 48, Dartmouth 0.

1893.--Harvard 16, Dartmouth 0. (first game).

Harvard 6, Dartmouth 6. (2nd game).

Harvard 36, Dartmouth 0. (3rd game).

1894.--Harvard 22, Dartmouth 0.

1895.--Harvard 4, Dartmouth 0.

1896.--No game.

1897.--Harvard 13, Dartmouth 0.

1898.--Harvard 21, Dartmouth 0.

1899.--Harvard 11, Dartmouth 0.

1900.--No game.

1901.--Harvard 27, Dartmouth 12.

1902.--Harvard 16, Dartmouth 6.

1903.--Dartmouth 11, Harvard 0.

1904.--Dartmouth 0, Harvard 0.

1905.--Dartmouth 6, Harvard 6.

1906.--Harvard 22, Dartmouth 9.

1907.--Dartmouth 22, Harvard 0.

1908.--Harvard 6, Dartmouth 0.

1909.--Harvard 12, Dartmouth 3.

1910.--Harvard 18, Dartmouth 0.

1911.--Harvard 5, Dartmouth 3.

1912.--Harvard 3, Dartmouth 0.

1913-1921.--No games.