FISHER'S MEN DEFEAT DEARTMOUTH IN FIRST GREEN-CRIMSON FOOTBALL GAME SINCE 1912

Intercepts Forward and Races Free Across Goal-Line--Buell's Generalship Tells--Mills Stars for Green

Playing sound and hard football and realizing to their full value each of Dartmouth's few errors, mainly through the exceptional generalship of Captain Buell, the University turned back the New Hampshire invaders Saturday with a 12 to 3 defeat in one of the most intense and sensational struggles ever held in the Stadium. It was the first Dartmouth Harvard football contest since 1912.

Neither eleven at any time during the two hours of play appeared to have a marked advantage. The heavy Green line repulsed the tremendous attacks of the Crimson backfield time and again, while the visitors' offensive, with the exception of a brief and unsuccessful advance in fourth quarter, felt smothered beneath the University linesmen. It was only in the aerial game that Coach Fisher's men were clearly outstanding, completing more that half of their passes for neat gains. The Dartmouth team, on the other hand failed utterly in this department, and it was this weakness which allowed Jenkins to block and recover the pass by Harris which resulted in the lone touchdown on the most thrilling play of the afternoon.

Kicking Duel in First Quarter

The first quarter brought forth a kicking duel by Gehrke and Harris, with the former gaining at first a slight edge in spite of the mild, opposing wind. Buell returned a Dartmouth kick to the latter's 45-yard line. Owen gained seven yards on a line plunge and Gehrke followed with five more, giving the Crimson first down on the 32-yard line. Then Chapin, on a delayed pass play, gained four and Owen two. But the Green line held and Buell was forced to try a drop-kick which was short and wide.

Dartmouth likewise came within scoring distance some moments later, when Mills, the speedy Green quarterback, ran back a punt from mid-field to the 21-yard line. But the Crimson line likewise proved impenetrable and Neidlinger attempted an unsuccessful placement kick.

Green Forces Buell to Drop-Kick

Early in the second quarter Dartmouth interfered with a fair catch by Buell and the University was given first down on Dartmouth's 23-yard line. Again the Crimson backfield was stopped three times on the line of scrimmage and again Buell missed an attempted goal. But the first score came shortly afterward when the Crimson eleven gained the ball on Dartmouth's 25-yard line through a short kick coupled with a ten-yard penalty. A pass, Buell to Gebrke, followed by a four-yard plunge by Owen, gained first down. Then the visiting line braced for three plays, and Buell, making his third attempt, this time sent the ball directly between the goal-posts for the first score of the game.

Ball Kept on Green Territory

At the opening of the third quarter, the kicking duel was resumed, again to the Crimson's advantage. After a fair catch at mid-field Buell called for an on-side placement by Owen, but the kick fell short of its mark. Several moments later Chapin received a punt on Dartmouth's 36-yard line and a pass, Buell to Owen, netted 24 yard. The three following plays gained nine yards, and Owen was sent at the line to add the necessary distance. But the Green tackles stopped him short at the line of scrimmage, and Dartmouth, taking the ball on downs. punted out to Chapin, who made a fair catch on the 32-yard line. Then Owen, with Buell holding the ball, sent a high placement over the cross bar for three more points.

Following this tally, Gehrke kicked short to Mills who ran out to the 38-yard line. Then two advances by Leavitt netted a first down, but the following plays failed to advance the ball, the third quarter ending at this point. After the teams had changed goals, Mills called for a 48-yard placement by Neidlinger, and the latter sent off a perfect kick which dropped straight over the goal.

Jenkins Races to Touchdown

The most sensational play of the day and the lone touchdown followed a steady 15-yard Green advance past mid-field. On the next play Harris fell back to pass and was left unprotected. Jenkins, rushing in at top speed, reached him as the ball left his hand, and knocking the ball straight up in the air, caught it as a second Crimson player took out Harris. The way was clear to the goal, and accompanied by two interferers, Jenkins raced straight over the goal-line for the final score. Buell missed the goal.

The summary:

HARVARD  DARTMOUTH Fitts, Jenkins, Crosby, l.e.  r.e. Lynch, WatkinsEastman, I.t.  r.t., HatchGrew, Miller, l.g.  r.g.,AschenbachClark, Kernan, c.  c., MooreHubbard, Kunhardt, r.g.  l.g., Taylor, CarpenterGreenough, Hobson, r.t.  l.t., Neidlinger, GoldsteinHolder, Gordon, r.e.  l.e., Bjorkman, GordonBuell, Pfaffman, q.b.  q.b., MillsOwen, Hammond, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Seigfried, HarrisChapin, Rouillard, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Harris CalderGehrke, Churchill, f.b.  f.b., Leavitt, Lec