GLAD HARVARD IS IN HIS DIOCESE SAYS SLATTERY

New Bishop Coadjutor Sends Message to University Through Crimson--Praises Harvard Traditions--Hopes to Gain Inspiration From Them

"One of the chief reasons why I am glad to come to serve the Diocese of Massachusetts is because within its bounds is Harvard College", declared the Reverend Dr. Charles Lewis Slattery '91 to a CRIMSON reporter recently. Dr. Slattery is to be consecrated bishop coadjutor of the Massachusetts Diocese of the Episcopal Church today. He has served as the rector of Grace Church, New York City, for the last twelve years.

"Harvard belongs to the nation, but it belongs particularly to Massachusetts", continued Dr. Slattery. "I think that sons of Harvard who live closest to it ought to have a deeper sense of responsibility for its welfare, and a keener joy in its achievement, than all others. Coming now a little closer to it, I hope to find anew the inspiration which Harvard always gives, and to do what I can to keep before those who may come to it, out of the group to which I am directly related, its unflinching love of truth, its courage in duty, and its continuous aspiration to reach out for the best in both thought and character. There is a great tradition which belongs to every son of Harvard. It is good to help in any smallest way to keep that tradition bright for those who shall come after us".