THE WHY OF CLASS OFFICERS

The CRIMSON has already suggested one possible solution of the annual middle class election fizzle. In the communication printed below is another suggestion. Either would help to put an end to the yearly struggle of the Junior and Sophomore classes to obtain the required sixty percent vote.

One question is always put forward in this connection: "Why have middle class officers in the first place? There's nothing for them to do."

In answer to this question an interesting, if somewhat--irrelevant comment is the newspaper account of the election held recently in a prominent fraternal order. Twelve officers were elected without difficulty from a group of one hundred and seventy-nine voters. The great Incohee, the Past Great Pocahontas, and the Great Keeper of the Wampum were among those chosen.

Undoubtedly these officers play an important part in the organization which elected them. At the least, they form, with their impressive titles, a definite body to refer to as a head with the responsibilities which that implies. The same thing is demanded of the Junior and Sophomore Officers in the University. Some authority must be vested somewhere. A class without officers of some kind is like the fraternal order mentioned above, without the Great Incohee and the rest. It is as helpless as a hen without a head.

Without some officers in a class no arrangements can be made for the only gatherings of the class as a whole during the two middle years,--the Smokers and the Junior Dance.

One man alone cannot undertake all the duties of leading a class. It would be like trying to combine the powers of the Great Keeper of the Wampum with those of the Great Incohee. The appointment of committees is essential, as well as the keeping of class records, and the dispensing of the class wampum in scholarships and other expenses. All this power concentrated in one man, is unwieldy and open to criticism, just or unjust, for all sides. The safest way is to keep the Incohee (whether great or otherwise) and his able assistant the past great Pocahontas, each limited to his own duties.

To have these duties capably attended to, an election of officers is obviously necessary in one way or another. The real question is one rather of method. That suggested in the communication printed below is practical, efficient, and economical of effort. If no better one is offered it should be given a trial.