WELL-KNOWN ELECTRICAL ENGINEER WILL SPEAK IN PIERCE HALL TONIGHT

CRUFT AND PIERCE LABORATORIES OPEN FOR INSPECTION

Mr. E. H. Colpitts '96, A. M. '97, Assistant Chief Engineer of the Western Electric Company, will address the Engineering Society this evening at 8 o'clock in Pierce Hall, Room 10. He will speak on "Communication Research and Some of its Applications." The lecture will be open to all members of the University.

The Western Electric Company has sent a great deal of apparatus to be used for demonstrations, and three men to install it. The feature of the address will be the showing of motion pictures, with which will be synchronized an explanatory lecture delivered through a group of sound-projectors. These sound-projectors are a recent development in the recording and reproducing of speech, and are by far the most successful that has yet been produced.

Mr. Colpitts has done extensive research work, and during the war was in complete charge of the research department of the Western Electric Company. In his address, he will lay emphasis upon the study relating to the mechanism of speech and hearing, and will discuss research problems concerning methods and means employed in transmitting speech between the speaker and the listener.

The Boston section of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers, and the Afilliated Technical Societies of Boston, have accepted invitations to attend. Those representatives of the Western Electric Company and of the American Telephone and Telegraph Company who are now in Boston or its vicinity, will also be present.

The Cruft high tension laboratories, and the electrical laboratories in Pierce will be open after the lecture for inspection by the guests.