NEW BOOKS ADDED TO THEATRE COLLECTION

Volumes From Dramatic Library of D. P. Griswold '87 to be Shelved in Widener--Biographies of Stage Celebrities and Original Quartos Included

It was announced Saturday that numerous books from the recently donated dramatic library of Daniel Paine Griswold '87 will be shelved in the main room of the Theatre Collection of Widener Library. Mr. A. C. Potter '95, Assistant Librarian, has selected for Library the choicest volumes from this collection, which was bequeathed by the widow of the man for whom it now stands as a memorial.

This dramatic library consists for the most part of biographies of stage celebrities, narratives of Green Room gossip which were privately printed or issued from provincial presses, and local theatrical playbills. The biographies are those of Cooke, Garrick, Jordon, Kemble, Macready, and Siddons; that of Garrick is illustrated with playbills of Covent Garden. There is also a representative group of the collected writings of the nineteenth century. The steadily increasing demand for these editions by libraries and the almost continuous use of them by students of literature makes it particularly desirable for the Library to have a second set of these works in addition to the one which it already possesses.

Original Quarto Plays Included

These volumes are supplemented by a small but choice shelf-full of about 100 original quarto plays by Addison, Cibber, Congreve, Davenport, Dryden, Ford, Gay, Killigrew, Lee, Massinger, Minshull, Sedley, Sheridan, Steele, and other writers of lesser importance.

The collection also includes an unusual American play entitled "The Search after Happiness: a Pastoral Drama by a Lady in Connecticut", which was printed at Catskill, New York, in 1795.