WHY WE DO IT

In view of the fact that the CRIMSON is starting three competitions this week it may not be malapropos to say something about the competitions and the CRIMSON in general. In the first place it is hardly necessary to point out that the present system affords the only practical basis for election. The competitive method is used for determining elections within the Board as well as to it; the purpose is to select the men best fitted for the positions, and it is only by competition that this can be ascertained. At least we do not know of any other system which has been as uniformly successful.

All competitions for election to the Board last twelve weeks. Experience has shown that this length of time is necessary; if those who wish to become editors were not given this long period in which to show their abilities--and their defects--there would undoubtedly be errors of judgment resulting in two things. The unsuccessful candidate would feel that he had not been given a fair trial, and this might be the case. Conversely, a candidate who had been chosen might prove a liability instead of an asset to the paper, so that the editors would be justified in feeling that they were at a disadvantage because of the necessity of making a too hasty decision.

CRIMSON competitions are difficult. But they are so designed that they do not necessarily interfere with scholastic work; the records of a large number of men who have remained on the Dean's List during competitions witness that fact. If any one is unable to keep abreast of his studies during a competition, that is the fault of the individual. CRIMSON work is hard because CRIMSON editors must work; a man who is not willing to extend himself as a candidate will not as an editor. And at the same time it is necessary for the candidate to gain a certain amount of experience which will fit him for editorship.

It may be evident that election to the CRIMSON is based upon ability shown by work done. Nor does editorship mean an opportunity to loaf. This is not a loafers' organization. Editors, whatever department they are in, have assignments to cover.

And perhaps the fact that editors find the work worth-while and interesting is the biggest thing about the CRIMSON.