NUMBER 27

Rarely a day passes during one's college career--especially during the later years--without one's hearing a complaint as to the workings of Harvard occasionally accompanied by some suggestion of reform. Some of the more widely recognized grievances are from time to time discussed in these columns; some are hinted at in Lampy's more serious moments; but most of them pass unheeded and are generally forgotten. Viewed in this light, perhaps no part of the questionnaire issued by the 1922 class Committee is more important than question number 27 and the blank pages at the end of the pamphlet. As you survey your college course near its close, what things would you wish changed before you send your son here? Would you have learned more if you had had more personal college tutoring? if less emphasis had been laid on marks? Do you approve of the general divisional examination and distribution requirements? Are Harvard athletics too specialized? What is wrong with the social system? Such questions as these deserve consideration in the space allotted.

College education, after all, is very much in the nature of an experiment which professors try on the undergraduate, frequently with dubious results. But if we, the objects of so much investigation would make an effort to actively record our sensations at various stages of the procedure, we may possibly spare tome wear and tear on future specimens. In any event no Senior should neglect this opportunity to write, for the common welfare, his brief but poignant treatise on "How I Would Run the College."