INDIVIDUAL PLAY WINS FOR CRIMSON OVER AMHERST; 48-27

COACH WACHTER'S MEN TO FACE ELIS TOMORROW

In their last trial before the contest with Yale at New Haven tomorrow, Coach Wachter's basket-men Saturday evening at the Hemenway overwhelmed the Amherst quintet by a score of 48-27. It was the Crimson's fourth consecutive victory. But although the University triumphed overwhelmingly and led continuously after the initial moments of play it was the individual excellence of the red-jerseyed players rather than their team-work which brought the decision to the Crimson camp.

For the University Gordon and Captain McLeish were the two outstanding figures. In the first half when 26 out of the 48 points were chalked up, the latter starred especially tallying four times from the floor and scoring eight times from the foul line out of 11 possible chances. On the whole, however, the passing, floorwork, and general play of the Crimson was far below the standard of the past two games, especially the second Worcester Tech contest.

Amherst First to Tally

Amherst was the first to tally when Elliott, a few seconds after the opening whistle, dropped the ball through the hoop from the foul line. A moment later, however, McLeish evened it up with another foul shot and then scored again from scrimmage. The Purple staged a come-back as Stewart made two straight scores from play but shortly afterward Gordon repeated the performance and the University again swung into the lead. From this point on the outcome of the struggle was never in doubt. Coach Wachter's men climbed steadily ahead and by half time had rolled up a total of 26 points while holding the invaders to 12. In the second half the Crimson continued to forge ahead but since the entire second team was sent in with the period but a few minutes old, the Purple succeeded in running up 15 points to the Crimson's 22.

The summary: HARVARD  AMHERST McLeish, Lowenthal, Hartley, r.f.  l.g., Whitney, Wood Gordon, Pallo, l.f.  r.g., Phelps Fitts, Sipp, c.  c., Stewart, Lambertan Black, Egan, Feiring, r.g.  l.f., Elliott, Walker Rudofsky, Miller, l.g.  r.f., Millard

Score: Harvard 48, Amherst 27. Goals from floor: McLeish 6, Gordon 6, Black 2, Fitts 2, Hartley, Miller, Sipp, Stewart 4, Elliott 2, Millard, Walker. Goals from free tries: McLeish 10, Stewart 7, Elliott 4. Referee: Souders. Umpire: McGuinness. Time: 20-minute periods.